Punjab govt to shortly launch 'night police': Sukhbir Singh Badal
- Elections 2014 Live: TMC workers beat up poll officials in Bengal; Rahul attacks Modi over Adani link
- Narendra Modi slams Mamata Banerjee, says she is playing vote bank politics
- #WhyiVoted: Let's hear it from India
- NSCN (IM) takes over Manipur booths, loads EVMs with votes
- Narendra Modi mentions wife Jashodaben in poll affidavit for first time
In the wake of recent Delhi gangrape case, the Punjab government has decided to launch 'night police' in the state that will only function during night hours.
"The state government is shortly launching night police in the state which will only operate during night hours," Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal, who also holds the Home portfolio, told reporters here.
The state government will create 'special units' for the purpose of night patrolling, he said, adding, night police will work at all district levels.
"At present the duty hours of policemen are long and by late night the cops go to sleep," he said adding that the night police staff will function during the night time only.
Besides, police is also launching quick response teams for rural areas.
The police personnel after getting a call at toll free number will reach at the crime spot within 20 minutes in rural areas as well, he said.
He said that police will depute separate SP level officers who will be in-charge of districts for night hours only to check crime.
Besides, there will be separate night police for highways in the state, he sad.
He said that the government would soon recruit women at the level of DSPs and Inspectors in the police department.
Lashing out at the Centre for its alleged "indecisiveness" in the rape case in Delhi, he said that the Union government takes action only after public outcry.
"Several projects are being delayed as files are pending with the centre government...this indecisiveness of the centre on all fronts, including industry is bringing down the economic situation of states," he said.
- Neemu Bhoumik seeks LS entry; people’s issues, Raiganj roots in mind
- Another Bittu, Simerjit file papers as Independents
- Firing at district food and civil supplies office, one injured
- Day after stand-off with EC, Didi vows ‘revenge’ over ‘insult’ by Delhi
- ‘Hate’ speech: Amit Shah moves HC for stay on arrest, quashing of FIRs
- Adarsh Shastri ‘covers’ for AAP’s Jaaferi