Punjab woos industry at Gujarat summit
- LIVE: Yogendra Yadav, Prashant Bhushan expelled from AAP National Executive committee
- President Pranab Mukherjee goes to Vajpayee's home with Bharat Ratna
- Land bill will ‘break nation’s backbone’, Sonia tells Gadkari
- After 2010 scare, DGCA got cockpit policy to avert Germanwings-type incident
- Leave IITs alone, can’t talk to 36 applicants in a day and choose (directors): Kakodkar
The industry back home may be facing difficulties, but that didn't deter the SAD-BJP-led government in Punjab from hard-selling the state as the investment destination at the Vibrant Gujarat Summit.
"The main intention of participating in the Vibrant Gujarat Global Summit was to explore business opportunities and project Punjab as favourite investment destination," a senior official of Punjab Industry Department said on Sunday. He was part of a Punjab delegation, which included officials from departments of industry, power, PUDA, Punjab Agro, that interacted with corporate honchos at the summit.
During the Punjab State Seminar at the event, officials also highlighted the SAD-BJP government's vision to turn the state into investment hotspot by taking industry friendly measures, including sufficient power, improved road infrastructure, air connectivity, land availability at reasonable rates.
The effort assumes significance as Punjab has not been on radar of big corporates and multi-national companies for investments, particularly in manufacturing and IT sector for some time, even as state attracted small investments in rice milling, hotels and other real estate projects.
Higher land prices had turned out to be a major stumbling block in attracting fresh investment in Punjab with companies showing reluctance in putting money in the state and this fact was even corroborated by a UNIDO report.