PWD plans to revive Kalindi bypass project in bigger way
- India's naval might on full display off Visakhapatnam coast
- Kerala solar scam: Had freedom to enter Chandy’s house anytime, says Saritha Nair
- Australian national suspected to be IS supporter deported from Delhi airport
- At least 39 dead as Gujarat state transport bus plunges into river
- Cops have a case for new juvenile law: boy who ‘killed 2’
The PWD will soon float tenders to invite consultants for a feasibility study. "The project is at a very early stage. We have had a discussion about integrating the Ring Road bypass and the Barapullah elevated road with the Kalindi bypass," PWD Principal Secretary K K Sharma said. The Kalindi bypass project was meant to decongest the Badarpur and Ashram areas.
Once integration of these three projects is achieved, there will be better connectivity for motorists travelling between Faridabad, Noida, East Delhi and other parts of the Capital.
There are, however, several unresolved issues apart from the land dispute with the UP government, due to which the project had been abandoned.
The biggest problem is that after changing the re-alignment of the project following a High Court order, 800 houses in the Batla House area will have to be relocated. Apart from this, the Okhla Bird Sanctuary, the Defence Sailing Club and a UP guest house also falls on this road.
"At present, we have drafted the terms for the feasibility study. It will be sent to the United Traffic and Transportation Infrastructure (Planning and Engineering) Centre for discussion before the tender is floated for the consultant. The consultant will be asked to look for a solution to these problems," said a senior PWD official.
The construction work of 6.5-km long Kalindi bypass was awarded at the cost of Rs 63.41 crores in May 2003 — the project was to be completed by 2005. The bypass was to pass along the west bank of the Yamuna. The project had to be abandoned midway as only 35 per cent of land required was available.
- No proof required: MGNREGA does not help poor
- Male-dominated ‘places of worship’ are places where god doesn’t reside
- As Sushma visits Lanka, India should invest its diplomatic capital in finding constitutional solution
- There is talk of 4th industrial revolution. How about spreading the benefits of the preceding three
- It Made China See Red
- Modi’s Idea of India - 2