Qazigund-Banihal stretch to be open to public by March
- Rajnath Singh does a Sonia Gandhi, meets top Shia clerics in Lucknow
- Gandhi vs Gandhi: Priyanka slams Varun, says LS poll not a family tea party
- Amnesty welcomes SC verdict on transgender
- If Modi loses in Varanasi, no one will make him PM: Arvind Kejriwal
- SC rejects Kejriwal's plea to stay trial in defamation case filed by Kapil Sibal's son
Come March, passengers will be able to travel on train between Kashmir and Jammu as Qazigund-Banihal stretch becomes operational. "A 114-year-old dream of connecting the Kashmir valley with the Jammu region by constructing a 17.729 km railway line, including 11.215 km long Pir Punjal tunnel, has been realised," IRCON director (Works) Hitesh Khanna told reporters.
The project will be opened for the public in March 2013 after trial runs. It will provide all-weather connectivity with significantly reduced travel time.