QNet: Police issue lookout notice against Michael Ferreira
- 15 security personnel killed as Naxals attack CRPF convoy in Chhattisgarh
- Missing Malaysia airline: Man travelling on stolen passport identified as Iranian
- Bhagwat cautions RSS cadres against crossing limits for BJP
- Narendra Modi's new found love for Bihar a ploy to win votes: Nitish Kumar
- Dalit teen canât pay to cheat in exam, immolates himself
The Economic Offences Wing (EOW) of the Mumbai police have issued lookout notice against former world billiards champion Michael Ferreira for his alleged involvement in a marketing scam.
Padma Bhushan awardee Ferreira had earlier been summoned by the EOW in connection with the alleged Rs 425-crore QNet scam.
"We have issued the lookout notice as he did not turn up for questioning three weeks ago when we had called him," said a police officer.
In the second week of December, the EOW had served summons to 75-year-old Ferreira, directing him to appear before them to quiz him about his association with the scam-hit company.
Till now, EOW has arrested nine people in this case, who have been charged with cheating, forgery and under relevant sections of the Prize Chits and Money Circulation Schemes (Banning) Act, 1978.
QNet allegedly lured investors with schemes involving investments between Rs 30,000 and Rs 7 lakh, claiming to be a marketing firm selling watches, bio and herbal products, holiday packages etc.
QNet has also been accused of using the banned binary pyramid business model for its multi-level marketing (MLM) schemes to entice investors.
The lookout notice means a person is wanted by police either for questioning or for arrest in a case. It is circulated at all immigration checks at international borders (like international airports or sea ports) and as soon as the person is spotted, the authorities concerned are notified.
Ferreira, who was abroad on December 17, had said he would appear before the investigators as soon as he returned to India. EOW officers said they did not know if he was back in Mumbai or still abroad.
Ferreira had described the allegations against him defrauding people through QNet as "outrageous, malicious and untruthful".
Meanwhile, in response to allegations made against QNet and its local franchisee, its spokesperson (India) Ajay Chanam said, "The situation surrounding QNet in India, particularly in Mumbai, appears to be some form of orchestrated sustained attack to undermine our reputation and prevent us from competing fairly and openly in India."
- Eight held for ‘attacking’ Dalit wedding procession in Sabarkantha
- 90 airports on alert to check movement of cash ahead of elections
- Notices to 23 hospitals for withdrawing facility
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- In Mumbai, teacher’s love story with student ends in her arrest
- Govt dismisses AAP allegations
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- Kejriwal Gujarat tour: The unfamiliar politician | The Indian Express