R Ashwin, Abhishek Nayar to get BCCI awards
- Cricketer Mohd Kaif, Nilekani, Ravi Kishen among 194 in Congress' first list of candidates for the Lok Sabha polls
- Yeddyurappa among 52 Bharatiya Janata Party candidates for Lok Sabha polls
- Malaysia Airlines plane with 5 Indians onboard missing, presumed crashed off Vietnam coast
- No compromise with live-ins or gay rights, moral values supreme: RSS
- Ink attack on AAP leader Yogendra Yadav at Jantar Mantar
Off-spinner Ravichandran Ashwin will receive the Polly Umrigar Award from the BCCI for being India's best international cricketer of the year 2012-13.
India's best performers in the senior and the junior level cricket in a period of 12 months from 1 October 2012 to 30 September 2013, will be honoured at the BCCI's annual Awards ceremony, to be held in Mumbai on January 11.
Ashwin took 43 wickets, including four five-wicket hauls and one 10-wicket haul in a match. He also scored 263 runs, including two fifties, from eight Tests. In ODIs, he took 24 wickets from 18 matches and three wickets from four T20 Internationals.
The Polly Umrigar Award comprises a trophy and a cheque for Rs. 5 lakhs. The award has been won in previous years by Sachin Tendulkar (2006-07 and 2009-10), Virender Sehwag (2007-08), Gautam Gambhir (2008-09), Rahul Dravid (2010-11) and Virat Kohli (2011-12).
Abhishek Nayar will receive the Lala Amarnath Award, for being the best all-rounder in the 2012-13 edition of the Ranji Trophy. He scored 966 runs at an average of 96.6. He hit three centuries and eight fifties, and 19 wickets at an average of 22.8, inclusive of one 5WI, from 11 matches.
The award comprises a trophy and a cheque for Rs. 2.5 lakhs.
The Mumbai Cricket Association, which Nayar represents, will collect the trophy for the Best Overall Performance in the 2012-13 season.
The various teams representing the MCA won the Ranji Trophy, the Under-25 C.K. Nayudu Trophy, the Under-16 Vijay Merchant Trophy, the Women's Under-19 Inter-State tournament, and finished runners-up in the Under-19 Cooch Behar Trophy.
The achievers of 2012-13 apart, Rohit Sharma will receive the Dilip Sardesai Award, for being India's best cricketer in the recent Test series against the West Indies. He scored hundreds in both Tests, and accumulated an aggregate of 288 runs. The award comprises a trophy and a cheque for Rs. 5 lakhs.
- Chai pe Charcha gets police protection, EC officials to check on poll norm violation
- Complaint against Kejriwal: Kutch cops gather evidence
- AAP chief to hold first public meeting in Gujarat today
- Nominations for North Bangalore primary begin
- ‘Our campaigning in the state will be out of the box’
- ‘Aai Retire Hotey’ to take the stage for 100th time today