R Ashwin, Abhishek Nayar to get BCCI awards
- Stakes high for BJP, Congress as 11 states go to polls tomorrow; A Raja, Milind Deora in fray
- Arvind Kejriwal beats BJP PM candidate Narendra Modi in Time magazine's poll
- Priyanka Gandhi continues to target Narendra Modi, rakes up snoopgate
- BJP complains to EC over St Xavier principal's criticism of Modi's Guj model of development
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Modi attacks Gandhis, says family going strong for 60 years, time to build a strong nation
Off-spinner Ravichandran Ashwin will receive the Polly Umrigar Award from the BCCI for being India's best international cricketer of the year 2012-13.
India's best performers in the senior and the junior level cricket in a period of 12 months from 1 October 2012 to 30 September 2013, will be honoured at the BCCI's annual Awards ceremony, to be held in Mumbai on January 11.
Ashwin took 43 wickets, including four five-wicket hauls and one 10-wicket haul in a match. He also scored 263 runs, including two fifties, from eight Tests. In ODIs, he took 24 wickets from 18 matches and three wickets from four T20 Internationals.
The Polly Umrigar Award comprises a trophy and a cheque for Rs. 5 lakhs. The award has been won in previous years by Sachin Tendulkar (2006-07 and 2009-10), Virender Sehwag (2007-08), Gautam Gambhir (2008-09), Rahul Dravid (2010-11) and Virat Kohli (2011-12).
Abhishek Nayar will receive the Lala Amarnath Award, for being the best all-rounder in the 2012-13 edition of the Ranji Trophy. He scored 966 runs at an average of 96.6. He hit three centuries and eight fifties, and 19 wickets at an average of 22.8, inclusive of one 5WI, from 11 matches.
The award comprises a trophy and a cheque for Rs. 2.5 lakhs.
The Mumbai Cricket Association, which Nayar represents, will collect the trophy for the Best Overall Performance in the 2012-13 season.
The various teams representing the MCA won the Ranji Trophy, the Under-25 C.K. Nayudu Trophy, the Under-16 Vijay Merchant Trophy, the Women's Under-19 Inter-State tournament, and finished runners-up in the Under-19 Cooch Behar Trophy.
The achievers of 2012-13 apart, Rohit Sharma will receive the Dilip Sardesai Award, for being India's best cricketer in the recent Test series against the West Indies. He scored hundreds in both Tests, and accumulated an aggregate of 288 runs. The award comprises a trophy and a cheque for Rs. 5 lakhs.
- Lalu Prasad hits out at BJP and VHP, says its leaders Giriraj Singh, Praveen Togadia are 'hate mongering'
- Gujarat model a big lie, BJP should clarify: Akhilesh
- Priyanka Gandhi continues to target Narendra Modi, rakes up snoopgate issue
- 2,700 more Muzaffarnagar riots victims apply for relief
- Shazia Ilmi's 'communal muslims' remark: BJP hits out at Aam Aadmi Party
- Battle of Varanasi: Kejriwal tears into Rahul, Modi over 'helicopter democracy'