Shocked to see Home Secy R K Singh praising Commissioner: Verma
- Rajnath Singh does a Sonia Gandhi, meets top Shia clerics in Lucknow
- Gandhi vs Gandhi: Priyanka slams Varun, says LS poll not a family tea party
- Supreme Court grants recognition to transgenders as third category of sex
- SC rejects Kejriwal's plea to stay trial in defamation case filed by Kapil Sibal's son
- Modi equates Rahul with kids, says âtoffeeâ has caught his fancy after âballoonâ
Home Secretary R K Singh on Wednesday got a rap on his knuckles from former Chief Justice of India J S Verma for his praise of Delhi Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar in the aftermath of the Delhi gangrape incident, saying he was shocked to hear this when an apology was expected.
"The Commissioner of Police was given a pat on his back by no less than a person holding the post of Home Secretary. I was shocked to see that," Verma told a press conference after submitting report on measures to improve laws dealing with sexual offences.
He said the least he would have done was to seek an apology for the failure of the duty to protect citizens and "instead of that (what did we see)".
Singh had praised Delhi Police during a press interaction days after the December 16 incident when the force arrested six men allegedly involved in the crime.
A 23-year-old girl was gangraped in a moving bus in south Delhi allegedly by six men. The girl died on December 29 in a Singapore hospital.
- Modi wave is a myth, says Siddaramaiah
- In Mandya, discordant notes in show of Cong unity
- ‘Fakir’ Jankar takes on Pawar might in battle against ‘dynasty’
- Ballot paper in Braille to help blind persons cast their vote
- AAP volunteer attacked
- 64-year-old fights for Punjabi language, gets little support from political parties