Rafael Nadal loses singles final to Zeballos in Chile
- Polls open in Britain's historic European Union referendum
- Day after NDMC legal advisor was killed, LG Najeeb Jung sought action on complaint against him
- Swamy tweets again: Suspends demand for CEA's sacking, but with conditions
- NSG Plenary Session Begins today: France backs India, all eyes on PM Modi-Xi meet
- Indians flood (wrong) Baghdadi with queries on Islamic State
Rafael Nadal suffered a shock 6-7 (2) 7-6 (6) 6-4 loss to Argentina's Horacio Zeballos in Sunday's final of the VTR Open, the Spaniard's comeback tournament after seven months out with a torn tendon in his left knee.
Nadal was an overwhelming favorite, shooting for this 37th singles title on clay. Zeballos won his first singles title on any surface and looked every bit the equal of the seven-time French Open champion.
It was only the fifth singles final Nadal has lost on clay to go with 36 victories. Zeballos matched Nadal shot-for-shot with no service breaks until the third set, dropping to his back on the red clay surface after winning.
"This is the game of my life," Zeballos said. "Playing against the best player of all-time, or one of the best in the history of tennis. It's a dream, unforgettable. I will never forget this moment."
Nadal spoke briefly after the match, and then prepared to play the doubles final with partner Juan Monaco against the Italian pair of Paolo Lorenzi and Potito Starace.
"It has been one of the most beautiful weeks lately for me after being unable to experience something like this for long time," Nadal said. "The fact I am here has been a triumph."
Nadal had most of the support, with fans waving Spanish flags and some wearing t-shirts saying "Vamos Rafa" and "Viva Espana."
The Spaniard has been treated like a hometown boy after arriving in Chile to play his first tournament. Nadal will continue his comeback this week in the Brazil Open in Sao Paulo, and later this month plays again on clay in Acapulo, Mexico all aimed at getting him ready for a run at this eighth French Open title. Nadal loses singles final to Zeballos in Chile
Vina Del Mar (Chile) (AP) Rafael Nadal suffered a shock 6-7 (2) 7-6 (6) 6-4 loss to Argentina's Horacio Zeballos in Sunday's final of the VTR Open, the Spaniard's comeback tournament after seven months out with a torn tendon in his left knee.
- Any party serious about UP’s development would try and make trifurcation a political issue
- There are lessons for India in Thailand’s experience on universal healthcare
- China’s declining competitiveness is an opportunity for India apparel industry
- If there is maun yoga, let Salman Khan practice it
- There is no logical way to refute the generalised assertions about the CSO’s skulduggery
- EU referendum: Days of unmaking