Ragged at SPA hostel, student suffers permanent knee damage
- Mad rush, chaos as Arvind Kejriwal takes local train to woo 'aam aadmi' in Mumbai
- SC defers hearing on Sahara's plea on releasing Subrata Roy
- Presidential delay in mercy petitions: SC won't reconsider verdict
- Lalu loyalist-turned rebel Ram Kripal Yadav joins BJP
- IAF aircraft on standby for missing Malaysian Airlines search ops
First-year student was made to do push-ups with bricks on the back and 1,000 sit-ups, police say dean of School of Planning and Architecture filed complaint.
The Dean of School of Planning and Architecture (SPA) has approached police seeking action against a few second-year undergraduate students who allegedly misbehaved and ragged a junior, leading to serious knee and leg injuries.
According to police, the incident happened in September last year when Naveen Kujur, a first-year undergraduate student, was at the varsity's hostel in New Friends Colony, Southeast Delhi. Kujur was ragged and "mentally and physically tortured" by his seniors, due to which his left knee was damaged.
On December 30, SPA's dean approached police and registered a complaint. "The college officials were holding an internal enquiry, which caused the delay. The first-year student is in Jharkhand and his family may come to Delhi soon. He is not willing to come to Delhi and has not given any names of the accused persons. Someone from the student's side needs to give us the names and identify the accused so that they can be arrested," Additional Commissioner of Police (Southeast) Ajay Chaudhary said.
Speaking to Newsline over phone from his home in Ranchi, Naveen said on September 2, he was in his room with his friends when the seniors called all the first-year students to the "television terrace room". They made the first-year students stand in a line and do push-ups with "bricks" on their backs.
Then, each fresher was taken away by a group of 4 to 5 seniors. "They asked me to do 1,000 sit-ups. When I refused, they said that if I wanted to stay in the hostel, I would have to comply with the ragging. So, I did it and then went back to my room at 4 am," Naveen said.
- Rs 1.28 lakh looted at gunpoint
- Venkaiah Naidu sure of BJP crossing ‘magic figure’ in south India
- AAP candidates truly ‘aam aadmi’: Prithvi Reddy
- Bangalore fund-raiser: Dine with Arvind Kejriwal for Rs 20,000
- AAP sounds Gul Panag about Lok Sabha poll, father says decision soon
- The real high and low: Drunk cop creates ruckus in court, held