Rahul Gandhi has become a challenge for his own party : Smriti Irani
- Stakes high for BJP, Congress as 11 states go to polls tomorrow; A Raja, Milind Deora in fray
- Arvind Kejriwal beats BJP PM candidate Narendra Modi in Time magazine's poll
- Priyanka Gandhi continues to target Narendra Modi, rakes up snoopgate
- BJP complains to EC over St Xavier principal's criticism of Modi's Guj model of development
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Modi attacks Gandhis, says family going strong for 60 years, time to build a strong nation
Congress does not have any credible alternative to challenge the BJP, party leader Smriti Irani claimed Monday and said Congress Vice-president Rahul Gandhi has become a challenge for his own party after its consecutive defeats.
"In Uttar Pradesh elections too the Gandhi family had to lose. Congress may declare it prime ministerial candidate. But one thing is for sure that Congress has to taste defeat in the hands of BJP-led by Narendra Modi," Irani, Vice president of BJP, said in the sidelines of a programme here.
"If they (Congress) had any alternative they would have declared it by now. They don't have any credible alternative, which is proven by the fact that Sonia Gandhi is yet to declare the PM candidate and has adopted a wait and watch policy," she said.
Irani said Congress spokespersons while speaking on the poll debacle in three states yesterday, did not clarify whether this debacle was due to political functioning of Rahul Gandhi.
"Yesterday none of the Congress spokesperson while speaking answered the question whether this defeat was due to Rahul Gandhi's style of functioning. This was because they know it very well that Rahul Gandhi himself has become a challenge for the party," she said.
- Lalu Prasad hits out at BJP and VHP, says its leaders Giriraj Singh, Praveen Togadia are 'hate mongering'
- Gujarat model a big lie, BJP should clarify: Akhilesh
- Priyanka Gandhi continues to target Narendra Modi, rakes up snoopgate issue
- 2,700 more Muzaffarnagar riots victims apply for relief
- Shazia Ilmi's 'communal muslims' remark: BJP hits out at Aam Aadmi Party
- Battle of Varanasi: Kejriwal tears into Rahul, Modi over 'helicopter democracy'