Rahul Gandhi hits campaign trail in Karnataka, slams Shettar govt
- Submarine mishaps: Navy had raised alarm with PMO, Defence Ministry
- Sahara chief Subrata Roy sent to police custody till March 4
- Petrol price hiked by 60 paise per litre, diesel by 50 paise
- Chhattisgarh: Six policemen killed in Naxal ambush
- IPL betting probe: Senior Tamil Nadu cop suspended for violation of 'conduct rules'
In a major offensive against the ruling BJP in Karnataka, Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi today accused the party of "looting" the state and claimed it would lose the May 5 Assembly polls.
Launching the Congress' campaign here in northern Karnataka, he said BJP broke electoral promises and "the only thing they remembered was how to loot public money in the state. They have done it. They are past masters in this".
Seeking to strike a chord with the public, he tried to make it interactive posing questions on the poll promises made by the BJP and whether they have been fulfilled to which the crowd responded with a vociferous 'no'.
The BJP government had hurt the people and "betrayed" the faith reposed by them, Gandhi told the gathering before whom he apologised for making people wait in the scorching sun. He was about one-and-a-half hours behind schedule.
"... BJP will lose here. We can hear it in Delhi...," Gandhi said, as he commenced his party's poll campaign with a brief speech losing no time in taking on the ruling BJP for "doing nothing but looting the state".
Flaying the government for forgetting its promises of employment, water and 24-hour power supply, he said: "Last time you made BJP victorious, you trusted them. They promised you 24-hour power supply, did you get it? They promised you employment, did you get it? They forgot employment, power."
Taking a swipe at the BJP for talking about corruption in Delhi, he slammed it for giving "Vidhan Sabha seats to two brothers (mining barons from Bellary Janardhana Reddy and Karunakara Reddy who are facing corruption cases)".
Chiding the BJP government for its alleged role in illegal export of iron ore, Gandhi said, "Your iron ore is being sold to China and they (BJP government) are earning crores of Rupees."
- Love and thereabouts
- Youth Akali Dal leaders open fire in front of Akali leader’s home, 3 hurt
- Raarewala market: Shopkeepers threaten LS election boycott; Ayali, mayor swing into action
- Techie murder: 2 months on, cops land in UP on wild goose chase, lens on taxi, auto drivers
- Deoband cleric declares support for Narendra Modi
- Row in British parliament complex over Narendra Modi’s past