Rahul Gandhi should become next Prime Minister: Sushilkumar Shinde
- 5th phase of elections: Moderate to high turnout on biggest voting day, halfway mark crossed
- Congress releases CD of Uma Bharti calling Narendra Modi 'Vinash Purush'
- April 17 poll roundup: Rajnath says only Modi will be PM; Jaswant Singh writes to EC against Raje
- IPL 7: Yuvraj Singh roars back to form
- Admiral Dhowan appointed as new Navy chief
Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde on Thursday endorsed Rahul Gandhi's statement that a government of the youth will come to power in 2014, saying it was the desire of everyone that the Congress vice-president becomes the next Prime Minister.
"I welcome Rahulji's statement. Very rightly he has said that the leadership should go into the hands of youth. And our desire is that Rahulji Gandhi should become the Prime Minister of this great country," he said at a press conference here.
Shinde's was asked about Gandhi's statement yesterday in Rampur where he said "a government of the youth" will come to power in 2014 which will work for the poor and "change" the country.
"The elections of 2014 are approaching. You see, a government of the poor, of the common man will again be formed. And I tell you, in 2014, a government of the youth will be formed, which will change the country. It will bring change by empowering the last man in the queue," Gandhi had said.
The comments were seen as an indication of the 43-year-old Congress leader taking the lead role, if his party comes to power after the next Lok Sabha elections.
- Don’t look at my candidates, votes for me: Maya to Dalits
- AAP biggies focus on Vishwas, Kejri seats, other units suffer
- TMC captured booths in Cooch Behar, says Left; demands re-poll
- Ties with BJP under strain, TDP says may go it alone in Seemandhra
- BJP will emerge a major force in Bengal: Advani
- ‘Maintain birth data; see how many go to school after 5 years’