Rahul Gandhi to be working President of Congress?
- Arvind Kejriwal to launch AAP's Lok Sabha poll campaign from Haryana today
- Donât discriminate between Muslims and others on false cases: Purohit to Shinde
- Fraud Office gets govt nod to prosecute Radia firms
- âStingâ journalist who reported on Amit Shah gets VIP security
- Army said unit was headed for IAF drill, ex-Air Chief says this was due only a month later
Rahul Gandhi is set to play a 'larger role' in the affairs of Congress party as well as the government very soon.
It is however, still not clear whether Gandhi will join the government but there are clear indications that a number of young faces from Rahul team will be inducted in the Union Council of Ministers in the cabinet reshuffle likely on Sunday.
There has been talk that the AICC general secretary could made either Working President in the party or Vice President amid demands for a "larger role" for him from a large number of party leaders in the past.
As the Cabinet reshuffle nears, there has been renewed specualtion on Gandhi's possibility of joining the Council of Ministers. Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has in the past expressed his desire to see Rahul joining the Cabinet.
Party general secretary Digvijay Singh, had, however, said Gandhi may prefer to do party work.
Sources close to Rahul have also been maintaining Gandhi is more keen for the party work right now rather than joining the government.
Whether or not Gandhi joins the Cabinet, a number of young Congress leaders groomed by him are likely to be inducted as well some to be elevated in the Union Council of Ministers.
The induction of young faces is expected to kickstart the "larger role" Gandhi could play in the coming days of Congress politics amid demands from sections of the party for his immediate projection as the party's face for 2014 Lok Sabha elections.
The new entrants from Rahul team could be Meenakshi Natarajan, an AICC secretary who is in the core team of Rahul Gandhi. She is an MP from Mandsaur in Madhya Pradesh. Manicka Tagore, MP from Virudhnagar in Tamilnadu, who was the Delhi in-charge of NSUI, till 2003 is another probable.
- ‘Irrespective of the noise, BJP won’t get so many seats. There is craze for Modi, but how much translates into votes is difficult to say’
- Hindus should 'produce' at least 5 children, says VHP leader Ashok Singhal
- AMU teachers body to boycott Mulayam visit
- Mulayam, Akhilesh woo Brahmins, Muslims
- ‘Sting’ journalist who reported on Amit Shah gets VIP security
- Don’t discriminate between Muslims and others on false cases: Purohit writes to Shinde
- Top General speaks: Def Secy summoned me late night, said highest seat of power was worried, troops must go back quickly
- Government blames BJP for delay in passage of Telangana bill in Rajya Sabha, may extend Parliament session
- Dhoni, do you believe you can win abroad? | The Indian Express
- ‘Troop movement should’ve been avoided if they knew (V K Singh’s) court date’