Rahul Gandhi's elevation is 'dynastic democracy', slams Arun Jaitley
- Naxals attack CRPF convoy in Chhattisgarh, 20 jawans feared dead
- Election Live: Rahul Gandhi addresses rally on Narendra Modi's turf
- Missing Malaysia Airlines: âFakeâ passports mystery deepens
- Arvind Kejriwal accused of influencing TV interview
- Dalit teen canât pay to cheat in exam, immolates himself
BJP leader Arun Jaitley today slammed Rahul Gandhi's elevation in the Congress dubbing it as a move to convert the world's largest democracy into a dynastic one.
Jaitley also said leader of his own party would be decided on the basis of tried, tested and proven ability.
Without naming Rahul, the Leader of Opposition in the Rajya Sabha said the Congress has not given answers at its Jaipur meet to issues such as price-rise, non-governance and corruption which have led to disenchantment among people.
"The only answer to all these problems is converting the world's largest democracy into a dynastic democracy", Jaitley said at a BJP state legal cell lawyers conference here, referring to Rahul Gandhi's appointment as Vice-President, an elevation to the number two position in the Congress.
"The answer (to the problems by the Congress) is let us go in for democracy that is dynastic in nature. That's the answer to every problem in the country".
"Fortunately for us, Indian public opinion is very alert. It's never given to be misguided by response of this kind".
"....it's only in feudal society that inheritance gives you the right to govern. In democracy, it's proven ability that gives right to govern", he remarked.
Jaitley said as a structured political party, BJP would throw up its leadership -- he did not say whether this meant the party's Prime Ministerial candidate -- who would be the best and first among the equals on the basis of proven ability.
And in a clear dig at Rahul Gandhi, he said the world's largest democracy cannot be put to risk by giving leadership to somebody whose actual position on various issues and policies are not known.
"It will be tried, tested and proven ability (that will decide on who the leader of the BJP will be). The best will become our leader at the appropriate time", Jaitley said.
- Eight held for ‘attacking’ Dalit wedding procession in Sabarkantha
- 90 airports on alert to check movement of cash ahead of elections
- Notices to 23 hospitals for withdrawing facility
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- In Mumbai, teacher’s love story with student ends in her arrest
- Govt dismisses AAP allegations
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- Kejriwal Gujarat tour: The unfamiliar politician | The Indian Express