Rahul rightful person to carry PM's baton: Manish Tewari
- Supreme Court issues notice to Goa Police on Tejpal's bail plea in sexual assault case
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Bismillah Khan's family says no to propose Narendra Modi's candidature in Varanasi
- 78 pc turnout, but few can show ink mark
- Giriraj Singh stands by his Pak remark; BJP dissociates itself from him
- RSS appeal to âmajorityâ: Vote or become history
Rahul Gandhi is the rightful person to carry Prime Minister Manmohan Singh's baton, Union Minister Manish Tewari Friday said shortly after Singh declared that he would bow out of office after the Lok Sabha elections.
"The Honourable Prime Minister has made the position very clear. He said that he led the government very successfully for the last 10 years and in 2014 when elections are held he would hand over the baton to another Prime Minister. "And from the point of view of the Congress, we do hope that Rahul Gandhi, who is the natural leader of the Congress party, would be the rightful person once bestowed the blessings of the people to be carrier of that baton," Tewari told reporters on the sidelines of a function here. To a question on Singh's remarks that Narendra Modi as Prime Minister will be disastrous for the nation, the Information and Broadcasting Minister referred to the 2002 Gujarat riots in which hundreds of people, particularly belonging to minority community, were killed.
"The Honourable Prime Minister has seen events, they have played themselves out for a fairly long period of time. Even before becoming the Prime Minister he was xtremely active in public affairs," Tewari said.
Answering a question on a potential contest between Rahul and Modi, the Prime Minister said in his press conference said, "I sincerely believe that it will be disastrous for the country to have Narendra Modi as Prime Minister."
- 21-year-old dies in road mishap, one injured
- Ask Badals where is Ludhiana Metro: Bhattal to locals
- Arrests in priest murder case divide Catholic Church
- Short Change: EPFO to allot permanent account number to active subscribers by Oct 15
- India Inc profit set to grow, but margins under pressure
- Mulayam: Will amend Constitution for Muslim quota