Rahul seeks sweat, Congress has tears
- No compromise with live-ins or gay rights, moral values supreme: RSS
- In Mumbai, new warship system malfunctions, Navy officer killed
- SC calls Sahara proposal an âinsultâ, Subrata Roy to stay in jail till March 11
- I'm not a terrorist, Modi should have met me: Arvind Kejriwal
- Express 5: Lalu's daughter at Ram Kripal's home and another Navy officer killed
Rahul Gandhi arrived on the centrestage of the Congress on Sunday terming power as "poison" and issuing a call to transform the "system". The party's response was an outpouring of tears, with many chief ministers and senior leaders crying and hugging Rahul as he finished his speech at the AICC meeting here.
With everybody submerged in a pool of emotions, they even forgot to adopt the Jaipur Declaration.
In a speech evocative of the Nehru-Gandhi family's bond with the party and its sacrifices, he disclosed that after his appointment as Congress vice-president Saturday evening, party president Sonia Gandhi had come to his room and cried. He recalled how two policemen who had taught him how to play badminton at his late grandmother Indira Gandhi's residence when he was a little boy and whom he considered his "friends" were the ones who killed her and "took away the balance" in his life.
By the time he ended his speech and returned to his seat to kiss his mother on the cheek and hug her, the entire auditorium was surcharged. Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit, who hugged him and kissed his mother's hands, was seen borrowing Rahul's handkerchief to wipe her tears.
Her Rajasthan counterpart Ashok Gehlot was also seen wiping his eyes.
Congress general secretary Janardan Dwivedi, who was moderating the session, got up to praise Rahul Gandhi, calling him "prakash kunj" and "Eklavya" but broke down midway and withdrew after inviting Sonia to make her closing remarks. One Congressman hugged Rahul and started crying on his shoulders and had to be pulled back.
Priyanka Vadra and her husband Robert too were in Jaipur for Rahul's big day.
Rahul said that he had got up at 4 o'clock Sunday morning and, stepping out into the balcony, thought how he has a "big responsibility" in front of him.
- Chai pe Charcha gets police protection, EC officials to check on poll norm violation
- Complaint against Kejriwal: Kutch cops gather evidence
- AAP chief to hold first public meeting in Gujarat today
- Nominations for North Bangalore primary begin
- ‘Our campaigning in the state will be out of the box’
- ‘Aai Retire Hotey’ to take the stage for 100th time today