Rahul sneaked into relief camps like a thief: Mulayam
- Stakes high for BJP, Congress as 11 states go to polls tomorrow; A Raja, Milind Deora in fray
- Arvind Kejriwal beats Narendra Modi in Time magazine's poll of most influential people
- Priyanka Gandhi continues to target Narendra Modi, rakes up snoopgate
- BJP complains to EC over St Xavier principal's criticism of Modi's Guj model of development
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, CSK vs RR: RR face stiff CSK challenge in Dubai
A DAY after Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi made an unannounced visit to riot-hit Muzaffarnagar and Shamli districts in Uttar Pradesh, Samajwadi Party president Mulayam Singh Yadav on Monday criticised him and claimed that those living in the relief camps were not riot victims.
"They are inciting people to remain in the relief camps. Congressmen visit the camps at night and mislead the people. They are conspirators. Nobody living in the relief camp is a riot victim. They just want it to remain an issue till the elections," said Mulayam. "At the relief camps, the Congress leaders said everything was fine. But they later told the media something else," he added.
Addressing party workers at a function here, he said, "As elections are approaching, he (Rahul) went to the Muzaffarnagar relief camps. He went there like a thief at night. When injustice was being done, where was he? We have given so many facilities ó compensation of Rs 7 lakh, job etc. Such relief has not been given anywhere in the country after riots."
Also targeting Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, who had earlier visited the area, Mulayam said, "Earlier, one who is in the highest post went there and returned after waving his hand. I sent a committee of nine people to list the demands of riot victims. Maulana Arshad Madani is a witness, whatever he demanded was done for the victims."
Mulayam further claimed that "many Congress leaders" had confided that "90 per cent of Congressmen are BJP supporters". Stating that "their culture and upbringing are the same", he said, this "was exposed when they supported the Lokpal Bill."
The SP supports the Congress-led UPA government at the Centre.
- Lalu Prasad hits out at BJP and VHP, says its leaders Giriraj Singh, Praveen Togadia are 'hate mongering'
- Gujarat model a big lie, BJP should clarify: Akhilesh
- Priyanka Gandhi continues to target Narendra Modi, rakes up snoopgate issue
- 2,700 more Muzaffarnagar riots victims apply for relief
- Shazia Ilmi's 'communal muslims' remark: BJP hits out at Aam Aadmi Party
- Battle of Varanasi: Kejriwal tears into Rahul, Modi over 'helicopter democracy'