Rahul takes Omar on his ‘personal visit’ to Amethi
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Kejriwal on dharna against attack on Bharti; Modi to file nomination from Varanasi
- Modi to Cong: Just 20 days more...Will take revenge
- SC to frame rules to snip govt ads
- Donât allow regional parties to contest LS polls: Chavan
- Elections 2014 Phase 6 LIVE: Modi urges youngsters to vote; Medha Patkar alleges money distribution by parties
Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi made a "personal visit" to his Lok Sabha constituency of Amethi along with Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Tuesday.
They interacted with self-help groups (SHG) but did not meet many Congressmen.
"Today he just wanted to interact with SHGs, telling Omar about their work," said a party member. "Earlier, when Rahul had gone to Jammu and Kashmir, Omar had expressed interest in the running of the SHGs among other things."
Rahul and Omar, accompanied by J&K Congress president Saifuddin Soz, visited SHGs in Girdhari ka Purva and Kasimpur villages in Bahadurpur blocks of Tiloi Assembly seat. Rahul urged the SHGs to make use of central government schemes such as Rajiv Gandhi Mahila Vikas Yojana.
Rahul's sister Priyanka left for Delhi after a two-day visit to Sonia Gandhi's constituency Rae Bareli. Priyanka's visit was aimed at strengthening the party and gathering inputs for selection of members for the new Rae Bareli district Congress committee.
"A new district Congress committee will be formed and Priyanka wanted to consider everyone's opinion before a decision is taken," said a party worker.
Among those who met Priyanka, some were subtly "interviewed", said a worker. "Her immediate focus was on selecting the DCC president. She is looking for someone with a clean image. With him, she will then constitute the remaining team," he said. Sources said Priyanka will be visiting Rae Bareli once more before a decision is taken.
- Hyderabad blast 2013: Agencies hunt for Mangalore ‘source’
- Police raids Giriraj Singh's home to arrest him for hate remarks
- Main accused in hawala racket has underworld links: Police
- Sindhu, Kashyap advance, Srikanth exits early at Asian C’ships
- Adhiban recovers, stays in lead
- 1 jumps to death as fire breaks out in Surat 10-storey building