Rahul wins title, double delight for Kalyani
- Ashutosh, Shazia Ilmi taken for questioning over clashes with BJP
- I am more qualified for PM post than Narendra Modi: Nitish Kumar
- Doctors in UP call off strike after Allahabad HC's intervention
- Ukraine crisis: Crimea sets referendum on whether to join Russia
- SC adjourns Centreâs plea restraining TN from releasing Rajiv killers till March 26
In a nail-biting encounter, Rahul Malhotra of Accountant General Punjab faced a resilient Saurabh Lathwal of Ramjas College of Delhi, but managed to beat him in a thrilling final in the men's singles category of the Prof RS Mehta memorial Open Table Tennis tournament at the Sector 23 Table Tennis Hall on Saturday.
With both the players going neck to neck in every game, Rahul found it hard to counter Saurabh's challenge but had enough firepower left in him to dismantle his opponent. After winning the first two games by 14-12 and 11-8, Rahul lost the third game 6-11, but bounced back to claim the fourth game 11-9. Despite Saurabh threatening to snatch the game away, Rahul kept his nerves and took authority over the match by winning the fifth game 11-7, to lay his hands on the title.
Meanwhile, Kalyani of SD College, Sector 32, claimed twin titles in the tournament by annexing the junior girl's singles and youth girl's singles finals. In the junior girl's final, Kalyani got the better of Pareen of DAV Public School, Sector 18, by 11-6, 5-11, 11-5, 13-11 while in the youth girl's final, she prevailed over Neha of Jalandhar 10-12, 11-6, 11-1, 11-5. Naina Suri of SD College, Sector 32, beat Kalyani 10-12, 1-11, 9-11, 11-8, 11-9, 11-6, 11-6, for the women's singles title.
Results (all finals): Junior girls singles (Under-18): Kalyani (SD-32) bt Pareen (DAVPS-8) 11-6, 5-11, 11-5, 13-11; Junior boys singles (under-18): Pankaj Sidana (Manav Mangal-21) bt Mayank Kapoor (DAVPS-8) 6-11, 13-11, 11-5, 11-8; Youth girls singles (Under-21): Kalyani (SD College-32) bt Neha (Jalandhar) 10-12, 11-6, 11-1, 11-5; Young boys (Unjder-21): Arnav (LPU) bt Dinker Goel (10-12, 11-5,12-10, 11-9); Women's singles: Naina Suri (SD College-32) bt Kalyani (SDC-32) 10-12, 1-11, 9-11, 11-8, 11-9, 11-6, 11-6; Men's singles: Rahul Malhotra (AG Punjab) bt Saurabh Lathwal (Ramjas College, Delhi) 14-12, 11-8, 6-11, 11-9, 11-7.
- Chavan sweetens deal for slum-dwellers
- ‘Buildings with approved layout plan should be exempted from SC order’
- WR puts brakes on new suburban services
- UP Doctors Protest: SP MLA booked as strike called off
- Raj Thackeray initiates talks with fringe parties
- Ministers, corporators fight over credit for public projects