Raid at Kaw’s nephew house yields Rs 56 lakh
- Siachen avalanche: Lance Naik Hanamanthappa passes away three days after miraculous rescue
- Dr RK Pachauri goes on leave as TERI Chancellor, won't attend March 7 convocation
- Ishrat Jahan's mother on Headley deposition: Ploy by those guilty to salvage their names
- Write-offs a scam, small loans rarely in it, says former RBI Deputy Governor
- David Headley received money from ISI, LeT and Dr Rana
POLICE on Sunday recovered Rs 56 lakh in cash and gold weighing 653 grams from the house of one Debasish Sarkar at Jingirabajaar in South 24-Parganas district after they were tipped off that Trinamool Congress councillor Shambhunath Kaw, the main accused in the killing of his party leader in Dhapa on March 19, was hiding there.
Sarkar, from whose house the valuables were recovered , is the nephew of Kaw. He was arrested and remanded in police custody till April 10.
According to the police, Sarkar's mother told them that the bag containing the money and gold was given to him by Kaw, who has been absconding since the murder took place. She told the police that Kaw did not disclose the content of the bag to them.
Police also recovered a motor bike from the house belonging to Kaw.
"However, the manhunt for the fugitive is on," said Pallav Kanti Ghosh, Joint CP, Crime, Kolkata Police.
Though Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee ordered the arrest of Kaw, he has been able to give police the slip.