Rail Budget: Railways plan to ban plastic for catering purposes
- Not RSSâ job to chant âNamo, Namoâ, canât cross limits for BJP: Mohan Bhagwat
- Missing Malaysia Airlines: âFakeâ passports mystery deepens
- Mocking Nitishâs âPM hopesâ, Modi woos Muslims, Yadavs
- Arvind Kejriwal accused of influencing TV interview
- Dalit teen canât pay to cheat in exam, immolates himself
Plastic cups in trains could soon be a thing of the past with the Railways planning to move over to agro-based and recycled material for catering purposes.
This step is being taken as part of Railways' efforts to protect the environment and promote sustainable development.
The country's largest transporter is also planning to set up an energy management company to harness the potential of wind and solar power.
"Railways remain firmly committed to protecting the environment and promoting sustainable development and use of energy efficient technologies," Railway Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal today said while presenting the 2013-14 Railway Budget in the Lok Sabha.
Besides, Railways would encourage more use of agro-based and recycled paper and "ban use of plastic in catering".
Bansal said there are also plans to set up 75 MW windmills besides utilising solar power for 1,000 level crossings.
Presenting the 2013-14 Rail Budget, Bansal said a Railway Energy Management Company (REMC) would be set up to harness wind and solar energy.
Meanwhile, Railways would set up six more Rail Neer bottling plants at Vijayawada, Nagpur, Lalitpur, Bilaspur, Jaipur and Ahmedabad.
- Eight held for ‘attacking’ Dalit wedding procession in Sabarkantha
- 90 airports on alert to check movement of cash ahead of elections
- Notices to 23 hospitals for withdrawing facility
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- In Mumbai, teacher’s love story with student ends in her arrest
- Govt dismisses AAP allegations
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- BJP complains to EC against Rahul over RSS remarks, seeks derecognition of Congress