Railmen stretch US team
- Sahara case: Hearing deferred in SC, Subrata Roy to remain in jail
- Purnia rally: Modi takes a dig at Nitish, says his PM dream was reason for break up of alliance
- Still no sign of Malaysia Airlines jet lost in "unprecedented mystery"
- DMK denies ticket to Alagiri; Raja, Maran get renomination
- Coal scam: SC directs CBI to file five charge sheets by Mar 28
Sportspower, USA survived some anxious moments against Indian Railways before prevailing by six points in an exciting men's league match of the 8th Savio Cup All-India Basketball Tournament, sponsored by Tridhatu Realty India and United Phosphorous Ltd at the Don Bosco School, Matunga on Wednesday. Whenever their former NBA players were on the bench, the side from US struggled to stop the Railways players from scoring and one time were trailing by eight points in the second quarter before they rallied to lead 54-47 at half time before finishing 92-86 winners.
In a women's league match, defending champions Southern Railway bounced back after the loss in the opening game, defeating strong contenders Chattisgarh 79-47.
In the boys U-20 competition Savio Club entered the Super League stage after registering their second win, this time a 67-41 victory in over Mastan YMCA.
The display by Railways against Sportspower would have given the other strong teams in the men's competition, especially defending champions ONGC, ideas of how to put it across the US side, who seemed to struggle every time their main players left the field.
Sportspower began in whirlwind fashion, jumping to a 31-19 lead, but could not do much to stop Railways in the second quarter. With Terrance Thomas, Paul Grant and Anthony Bonner taking a respite, the other players were overwhelmed by an attacking blitz from Railways in the 2nd quarter, which ended 28-23 in their favour. However, the experienced US players then rallied to keep their nose ahead, helped in no small measure by their height advantage in defence and in the offensive rebound.
Terrance Thomas and Paul Grant again emerged the top scorers for Sportspower with 27 and 26 points respectively, while Anthony Bonner contributed 14. For Railways, Prakash Mishra was undstoppable as he helped himself to 32 points, backed by Vikram Parmar who scored 14.
- Terror accused wrongly jailed for 14 yrs, NHRC notices to Home Ministry, police
- SP hints no candidates against Sonia, Rahul
- In Hills, BJP gains GJM edge
- Delhi Police forms patrol teams to check pick-pocketing in Metro
- Two months to go and EC receives myriad complaints
- Maharashtra hailstorm hits crop worth Rs 5,000 cr
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- BJP complains to EC against Rahul over RSS remarks, seeks derecognition of Congress