Railway introduces passenger-friendly technology in MEMU trains
- Aamir Khan responds, says 'Proud to be Indian, stand by what I said'
- GST is in the interest of the nation, says PM Modi at all-party meet
- Rescued Russian pilot says no warning from Turkey before jet downed
- 'Suit boot ki sarkar' is failing because there are no jobs: Rahul Gandhi
- BJP strategy in Parliament: Aggression is the best form of defense
Making the mundane journey more interesting for the daily commuters and other passengers boarding the MEMU trains, Western Railway (WR) authorities have put on track bogies with infotainment facilities onboard.
To begin with, WR authorities introduced the Passenger Information System (PIS) system, which is designed to provide information regarding the next stopping station.
Senior WR officials, Vadodara Division introduced the 12-rake train on Tuesday.
The PIS system will help passengers inside the MEMU trains know their de-boarding station in advance.
"At the moment we have got sanction for two rakes. The facility has been installed in one of the rakes. But gradually it will be installed in rest of the coaches in 13 different MEMU trains which are plying between different destinations," said a spokesperson at WR, Vadodara Division.
This system consists of display units, wherein the name of the next stopping station is displayed after it is automatically updated through the GPS tracking system. The date, time and advertisements will also be displayed through this system.
Similarly, the Public Address System (PAS) on MEMU trains will provide a medium of informing passengers about the next stopping train and the direction towards which it is heading.
"This system will help in communicating with the passengers in case of any eventuality such as accident, fire, natural calamity or change in schedule. It provides intercommunication between the motorman and the guard in MEMU trains during the run," said WR, Vadodara Divisional Railway Manager Suhas Kumar.
She added that the system comes with amplifier and speaker units fitted inside the MEMU coaches.
- Post 13/11 sloganeering at Antalya and Kuala Lumpur won’t be enough
- Can Parliament be insulated from the vagaries of the political climate?
- What Manmohan Singh really think about the Planning Commission?
- Telescope: Aamir and Chinese whispers
- Going solar
- Newspaper is supposed to expose corruption and injustice wherever it finds it