Railway introduces passenger-friendly technology in MEMU trains
- Gulberg massacre verdict: 11 convicted for murder given life sentences
- Gulberg Society massacre: Darkest phase of civil society, says court
- This is not justice, my struggle continues, says Zakia Jafri on Gulberg sentencing
- Essar leaks: ‘Tip of iceberg...(chats) expose corruption in business, govt, politics’
- British Labour MP Jo Cox dies after being stabbed, shot by attacker
Making the mundane journey more interesting for the daily commuters and other passengers boarding the MEMU trains, Western Railway (WR) authorities have put on track bogies with infotainment facilities onboard.
To begin with, WR authorities introduced the Passenger Information System (PIS) system, which is designed to provide information regarding the next stopping station.
Senior WR officials, Vadodara Division introduced the 12-rake train on Tuesday.
The PIS system will help passengers inside the MEMU trains know their de-boarding station in advance.
"At the moment we have got sanction for two rakes. The facility has been installed in one of the rakes. But gradually it will be installed in rest of the coaches in 13 different MEMU trains which are plying between different destinations," said a spokesperson at WR, Vadodara Division.
This system consists of display units, wherein the name of the next stopping station is displayed after it is automatically updated through the GPS tracking system. The date, time and advertisements will also be displayed through this system.
Similarly, the Public Address System (PAS) on MEMU trains will provide a medium of informing passengers about the next stopping train and the direction towards which it is heading.
"This system will help in communicating with the passengers in case of any eventuality such as accident, fire, natural calamity or change in schedule. It provides intercommunication between the motorman and the guard in MEMU trains during the run," said WR, Vadodara Divisional Railway Manager Suhas Kumar.
She added that the system comes with amplifier and speaker units fitted inside the MEMU coaches.
- The coaching industry wreaks an enormous social toll. What must be the policy response?
- There is an attempt to portray student activism as mere rabble-rousing
- Willingness to engage with ideas has to come from intellectuals, not political parties
- Novelist Nisar Aziz Butt is one of those who challenged the ideologies invented by men
- Swiss voted against the idea of a Universal Basic Income. But the debate continues
- Islamists are far from ones seeking escape from ethical choices modernity confronts us