Railway tickets now available at Bharat Nagar post office
- After arrest, Jitender Singh Tomar resigns as Delhi Law Minister
- Army begins operation near Myanmar border, kills militants involved in Manipur ambush
- Joint CP Mukesh Kumar Meena hits back, says he took charge at ACB under L-G's orders
- Congress president Sonia Gandhi accuses PM Modi of 'U-turns, falsehoods'
- UP minister booked for burning journalist to death over Facebook post
Finally, the Passenger Reservation System (PRS) started functioning at Head Post Office, Bharat Nagar, on Saturday. It was last year, on July 24, that Punjab Chief Postmaster General (CPMG) P R Kumar had announced to start the system within two months. But it finally saw the light of the day only today, after over a year of the announcement. A joint venture of Railways and Postal Department, PRS provides the facility of railway reservation tickets at the post office.
After inaugurating the system on Saturday, Kumar said, "Ludhiana Head Post office is the sixth in the state to have the PRS facility. It is already available at Patiala, Mohali, Jalandhar and Ferozepur, besides 4 post offices in Chandigarh tricity. The facility will be provided at Hoshiarpur and Gurdaspur soon."
About the extra charges that will be levied on purchase of tickets from the counter, Kumar said,"The buyer will have to pay an extra Rs 15 for sleeper class, Rs 20 for AC-3 tier and Rs 30 for AC Tier 1 per ticket."
Kumar added that the post offices providing this facility will be able to book all types of tickets, including military vouchers, like any other regular railway PRS centres. Talking about the future projects of the Postal Department, the CPMG said the department has started the process for the implementation of the project to provide banking facility at post offices.