Raise EPF pension to Rs 5,000: S Tharoor
- Water that belongs to India cannot be allowed to go to Pakistan: PM Modi in Bathinda
- Demonetisation LIVE updates: Ruckus in Parliament over PM Modi's absence, but he is in Bathinda
- Those accusing govt of not being prepared for demonetisation were themselves not ready: PM Modi
- UP polls: Parties say BJP setting agenda; voters praise end but ask how long do we suffer the means?
- Demonetisation: Exchange of banned Rs 500, 1000 notes to continue at RBI counters
Shashi Tharoor, Lok Sabha member from Thiruvananthapuram, has urged the Centre to enhance the pension under the Employees Provident Fund (EPF) scheme to at least Rs 5,000.
The existing minimum pension of the scheme was "totally inadequate" for over 3.5 million under the scheme who had spent their working life in the most productive sectors of the national economy, he said in a statement today.
"There are cases of pensioners with 40 years' service receiving Rs 550 a month. The basic pension should be raised to at least Rs 5,000 a month," the former Union minister said.
He also wanted the Dearness Relief linkage to be provided on the pension as granted to all other pensioners. Otherwise, the scheme would not serve any purpose since the increase in cost of living would not be accounted for, he said.
The government should initiate immediate measures to increase the corpus fund of the scheme, he said and suggested that more establishments in all sectors including the IT sector be brought under the ambit of the scheme.
Tharoor wanted a thorough review of the scheme to be undertaken to update various provisions and benefits under it.
- Law does not matter, form does not matter. There will be constant mobilisation
- The thana police, the first line of defence against terror, remains in a dismal state
- Government has failed to uphold Ambedkar’s vision of social and economic equality
- Ideologies are determining politicians’ assessment of the costs of the policy. Amid the commotion, food prices have been stable
- Demonetisation can help us leave behind culture of illegality, indiscipline, ill-gotten wealth
- M.G.K. Menon contributed to science and the building of modern India