Raj Kumar Singh is new Union Home Secretary
- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
Senior IAS officer Raj Kumar Singh was today appointed Union Home Secretary, succeeding G K Pillai who retires this month end.
The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) has approved the appointment of Singh, a 1975 batch IAS officer of Bihar cadre, as Home Secretary for a period of two years.
Singh is at present Secretary, Department of Defence Production.
He will serve as Officer on Special Duty in the Home Ministry with immediate effect and till the date of his assumption of charge, an official release said.
Singh had earlier served in the Home Ministry as a Joint Secretary for nearly five years.
Pillai, a 1972 batch Kerala cadre IAS officer, had taken charge as Home Secretary in June 2009 -- seven months after the Mumbai terror attack -- and oversaw the complete overhaul of the country's security establishment.