Raj Kumar Singh is new Union Home Secretary
- Home Ministry calls for high-level meet to discuss threat posed by ISIS
- VIDEO: 20 killed in Manipur landslide after heavy rain, several families homeless in Mizoram
- Indian Army, Chinese PLA hold maiden meet at DBO in Ladakh
- SP leader Farooq Ghosi, who demanded RS seat for Yakub Memon's widow, suspended from party
- Navy choppers gave air cover during Kalam's funeral: Defence
Senior IAS officer Raj Kumar Singh was today appointed Union Home Secretary, succeeding G K Pillai who retires this month end.
The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) has approved the appointment of Singh, a 1975 batch IAS officer of Bihar cadre, as Home Secretary for a period of two years.
Singh is at present Secretary, Department of Defence Production.
He will serve as Officer on Special Duty in the Home Ministry with immediate effect and till the date of his assumption of charge, an official release said.
Singh had earlier served in the Home Ministry as a Joint Secretary for nearly five years.
Pillai, a 1972 batch Kerala cadre IAS officer, had taken charge as Home Secretary in June 2009 -- seven months after the Mumbai terror attack -- and oversaw the complete overhaul of the country's security establishment.