Rajinikanth asks fans to kick smoking habit
- Congress says Togadia spreading venom; EC seeks recording of alleged hate speech
- Akhilesh Yadav tears into Narendra Modi bastion on maiden visit to Gujarat, says third front ready to govern
- Proponents of Article 370 should say how it has helped J&K: Rajnath Singh
- 1984 riots: Akalis protest over Capt Amarinder Singh's clean chit to Jagdish Tytler
- IPL 7: CSK register 93-run victory over hapless DD
Tamil cinema icon Rajinikanth, whose inimitable style of popping a cigarette into his mouth earned him many a fan among youth, has urged them to kick the habit.
Addressing a gathering of his fans to mark his 62nd birthday after many years here last night, he said his illness had been caused by smoking, but admitted he was unable to given it up.
"I haven't quit smoking, but you should do so," he said adding he recovered from his kidney ailment, involving extensive medical treatment, only by God's grace and the prayers of his fans.
The actor, who once extended support to a DMK-led combine in elections against AIADMK, said that he has no political ambitions.
Responding to fans' pleas urging him to play a larger political role, he said he would not be an effective leader and had no plans to launch a party, but expressed gratitude to the Tamil people for "providing me with a livelihood."
- A ‘woman Modi’ seeks votes for Mulayam Singh’s party in Indore
- They refused to vote because of Kalyan, vow to turn out now and shut his son out
- Ex-Ulfa leader upsets equations in Bodo bastion Kokrajhar
- In Maharashtra, Muslims bitter but see few options beyond Cong
- Poll staff stranded, govt employees protest
- Sarpanch, son among three killed in Pulwama