Rajnath Singh twist to Laxmikant Bajpai's party office bearers' list
- Tanzanian student was not stripped, paraded naked: K'taka Home Minister
- National Herald case: Sonia, Rahul Gandhi move SC challenging Delhi HC order
- Budget session of Parliament to begin on Feb 23; Jaitley hopeful of GST
- Suspended UP chief engineer Yadav Singh arrested, Congress, BJP say probe links
- Will stand by Pakistan if it acts on terror: Rajnath Singh
The unexpected change in the selection of BJP national president is going to further delay the constitution of the party's UP team of office-bearers, which has been awaited since April, 2012, when Laxmikant Bajpai had replaced Surya Pratap Shahi as state president.
Sources said Bajpai had prepared a list of 105 names for the state team and was waiting for approval of the then national president Nitin Gadkari who was busy in the preparations of his own election as the national president for the second consecutive term. The list had been finalised after consultation with Narendra Singh Tomer, the party's general secretary in-charge of UP.
Bajpai had assured party workers that he would announce his team after the Atal Shankhnad Rally, held in Lucknow on January 21 for the merger of Kalyan Singh's Jan Kranti Party with the BJP. To test the leadership quality of those aspiring for a place in the team, Bajpai had given them targets to assemble crowds and manage the event.
A large number of party workers visited the party office on January 22, expecting an announcement. But the same day Gadkari withdrew from the president's election and it was announced that Rajnath Singh would take his place.
"It is now certain that the list earlier made by the state president will be changed. The list will require approval of the leader who is given charge of UP by Rajnath Singh," said a party leader. He said Rajnath Singh's son Pankaj Singh in likely to continue in the new state team. Pankaj was elevated to the general secretary's post in the previous team by Shahi in the middle of the Assembly elections. Three state secretaries had tendered their resignation against his decision. When contacted, Bajpai said, "Rajnathji has asked me to work in the state with a free hand. The state team will be declared very soon." Before forming the state team, Bajpai also has to constitute the teams for six regions.
- Outcome on Section 377 will depend on composition of the Constitution bench
- Inadequate staff, payment delays undermine MGNREGA in drought-hit Mahabubnagar
- ICDS, the primary scheme targeting malnutrition, needs to be broadened
- Rohith's death must focus attention on the rites of exclusion in the university
- Telescope: State in the bedroom
- The economy is best served by lowering interest rates and blocking protectionism