Rajnath Singh twist to Laxmikant Bajpai's party office bearers' list
- Winter session Day 1: Govt talks about misuse of word 'secularism', Sonia raises 'intolerance' debate
- Sheena murder: CBI seeks Interpol help, Peter Mukerjea's custody extended till Nov 30
- PPCC chief Bajwa and Jakhar made to resign as rejig in Punjab Congress imminent
- Constitution Day: The many reasons why the BJP decided to celebrate it
- India-Pakistan series to be played from December 15 in Sri Lanka: Rajiv Shukla
The unexpected change in the selection of BJP national president is going to further delay the constitution of the party's UP team of office-bearers, which has been awaited since April, 2012, when Laxmikant Bajpai had replaced Surya Pratap Shahi as state president.
Sources said Bajpai had prepared a list of 105 names for the state team and was waiting for approval of the then national president Nitin Gadkari who was busy in the preparations of his own election as the national president for the second consecutive term. The list had been finalised after consultation with Narendra Singh Tomer, the party's general secretary in-charge of UP.
Bajpai had assured party workers that he would announce his team after the Atal Shankhnad Rally, held in Lucknow on January 21 for the merger of Kalyan Singh's Jan Kranti Party with the BJP. To test the leadership quality of those aspiring for a place in the team, Bajpai had given them targets to assemble crowds and manage the event.
A large number of party workers visited the party office on January 22, expecting an announcement. But the same day Gadkari withdrew from the president's election and it was announced that Rajnath Singh would take his place.
"It is now certain that the list earlier made by the state president will be changed. The list will require approval of the leader who is given charge of UP by Rajnath Singh," said a party leader. He said Rajnath Singh's son Pankaj Singh in likely to continue in the new state team. Pankaj was elevated to the general secretary's post in the previous team by Shahi in the middle of the Assembly elections. Three state secretaries had tendered their resignation against his decision. When contacted, Bajpai said, "Rajnathji has asked me to work in the state with a free hand. The state team will be declared very soon." Before forming the state team, Bajpai also has to constitute the teams for six regions.
- Why every patriot should be worried, and, yes, ashamed
- Douglass North emphasised institutions when markets were the focus
- ‘Bovine Divine’ controversy lurched between the horrific and the comic
- PM Modi’s achievements abroad appear to cut little ice back home
- Post 13/11 sloganeering at Antalya and Kuala Lumpur won’t be enough
- Can Parliament be insulated from the vagaries of the political climate?