Rajya Sabha disrupted for fourth day over issues such as FDI in retail
- If Land Bill has anything against farmers, I'm ready to change it, says PM Modi
- Essar Leaks: ‘Guests are very important people... Kindly see they are comfortable’
- Mufti to head 25-member cabinet; PM to attend his swearing-in on Sunday
- Economic Survey pegs India's growth at over 8 percent, says inflation easing
- Rail budget missed the opportunity to lay out an agenda for the future, writes Nitish
Rajya Sabha was paralysed for the fourth consecutive day today after uproar over issues like quota for SCs/STs in promotions in government jobs and FDI in retail.
The House plunged into chaos soon after it assembled for the day with senior BJP leader M Venkaiah Naidu raising the issue of FDI.
Chairman Hamid Ansari's repeated plea to allow the House to function normally went unheeded and some DMK members were seen in the aisle with newspaper clippings related to the 2G issue.
Amid the din, he adjourned the House till noon barely a few minutes after it met.
When the House re-assembled, slogan shouting SP members trooped into the Well opposing any reservation for SCs/STs in government job promotions as demanded by BSP.
As they kept chanting "promotion mein arakshan, nahi chalega, nahi chalega" (no reservation in promotion), some members from the treasury bench, led by Praveen Rashtrapal (Cong), came to the aisle countering them.
Members of UPA ally DMK also rushed to the aisle with newspaper clippings on the issue of recent disclosures by a former CAG official in 2G case. Their party colleague, former Telecom Minister A Raja, had to resign on the 2G issue.
BJP members were also on their feet apparently demanding discussion and voting on FDI in retail. But, they were not audible.
P J Kurien, who was in the Chair, asked members to lay papers and as unruly scenes continued, he adjourned the House for the day.