Rally without police permission: MNS general secy booked
- India vs Sri Lanka Live Cricket Score: India steady after losing Ajinkya Rahane early
- Congress, SP, BSP indulging in "WWF-like fights in UP: Modi
- 103 crorepati candidates in Odisha's 70 Assembly seats: report
- Narendra Modi not my protege, a brilliant events manager: L K Advani
- Elections 2014 LIVE: FIR filed against Amit Shah for 'badla remark'; Modi to file nomination papers from Vadodara LS seat
A day after Raj Thackeray-led Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) held a rally from Girgaum Chowpatty to Azad Maidan, senior officers of Mumbai Police said investigations into incident were on.
The police had registered a case under Sections of the Bombay Police Act against MNS general secretary Shirish Sawant on Tuesday for holding the rally without requisite police permissions.
According to police estimates, nearly 43,000 people walked from Girgaum Chowpatty towards Azad Maidan, where they were addressed by MNS leaders including Thackeray. While the MNS had police permission for the gathering at Azad Maidan, no such permission had been granted for the rally, said police sources.
On Tuesday, a case was registered at the D B Marg police station for holding the rally without permission.
Senior officers on Wednesday said the police were investigating the case and action would be decided after detailed inquiries. "We will take a call on what needs to be done depending on what our investigations reveal," said Joint Commissioner of Police (Law and Order) Rajnish Seth.
- Security stepped up in Muzaffarnagar, Shamli for LS polls
- Rahul Gandhi slams BJP over corruption and communalism
- BJP welcomes tacit support of DMK chief's son Alagiri
- Ram temple matter of faith for BJP; focus on development issues: Uma Bharti
- Congress policies promoting growth of communal forces: Sitaram Yechury
- All Muslim bodies supporting Congress: Chidambaram
- Babri Masjid demolition sting: BJP questions timing, asks EC to stop telecast
- Apmaan ka badla lena hoga: Amit Shah in Muzaffarnagar | The Indian Express
- Arvind Kejriwal punched during roadshow in Delhi, AAP supporters thrash attacker
- Sentencing in Shakti Mills gang-rape case likely today, convicts may get death