Rally without police permission: MNS general secy booked
- Bihar: School director dies after mob assault over death of two students
- PM spoke about Rakhi, but neglected Muslims during 'Ramzan': Congress
- Watch video: CCTV captures Mumbai local ramming into station
- Another Vyapam scam accused dies; 24th death in the case
- Sushma's Ministry declines info under RTI on Lalit Modi's passport issue
A day after Raj Thackeray-led Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) held a rally from Girgaum Chowpatty to Azad Maidan, senior officers of Mumbai Police said investigations into incident were on.
The police had registered a case under Sections of the Bombay Police Act against MNS general secretary Shirish Sawant on Tuesday for holding the rally without requisite police permissions.
According to police estimates, nearly 43,000 people walked from Girgaum Chowpatty towards Azad Maidan, where they were addressed by MNS leaders including Thackeray. While the MNS had police permission for the gathering at Azad Maidan, no such permission had been granted for the rally, said police sources.
On Tuesday, a case was registered at the D B Marg police station for holding the rally without permission.
Senior officers on Wednesday said the police were investigating the case and action would be decided after detailed inquiries. "We will take a call on what needs to be done depending on what our investigations reveal," said Joint Commissioner of Police (Law and Order) Rajnish Seth.