Ram Sene's Muthalik not welcome in Goa: CM
- Hidden in Assam mandate: The return of Prafulla Kumar Mahanta, his AGP
- Assam LIVE: No Gogoi 4.0 as BJP alliance finally looks east
- Kerala LIVE: It's an LDF wave in Kerala, BJP set to open account
- West Bengal LIVE: Trinamool set to storm Bengal assembly with massive lead, Left way behind
- Tamil Nadu LIVE: Amma breaks tradition, gets to stay in power
Against the backdrop of a controversy over possible entry of Sri Ram Sene chief Pramod Muthalik in Goa, Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar Thursday said his government was committed towards keeping "communalism" at bay to preserve religious harmony in the state.
"This land (Goa) is the land of peace. This land does not accept Muthalik," Parrikar told the Legislative Assembly
while participating in a debate on the issue.
The Sri Ram Sene chief during his recent visit to Goa had said that he was keen on opening a branch of the right wing group in the coastal state.
Parrikar said that since ages Hindus, Christians and Muslims are living in harmony in the state and "communalism" cannot come to Goa.
In a veiled reference to Muthalik, the chief minister said by not inviting certain people here we are keeping "demons" at bay.
Invoking mythology to emphasise that Goa has been a peaceful state, Parrikar said, "Goddess Durga is known as
Mahishasurmardini or Sherawali outside the state, but in Goa, she is called as Shantadurga, the peaceful incarnation of the deity".
The opposition is trying to corner the ruling BJP government over the issue of Muthalik's possibly entry to the
Parrikar had Wednesday told the Assembly that "stern"
action will be taken against those who invite the chief of the
right wing group to the state.
- Create five large, structurally unconstrained govt-promoted banks
- Judges can, and have, crossed the line for a good cause
- Assembly results are unlikely to mark a critical change in Tamil Nadu’s bipolar contest
- Who belongs to the House, who doesn’t
- Some good news from the studios, some of them may have piped down
- Burying Karkare: I cannot let these forces go unchallenged