Ram Setu issue rocks Rajya Sabha
- Maharashtra: Building collapses in Thane district, several feared trapped
- Nation pays tribute to Abdul Kalam, funeral in Rameswaram on July 30
- SC bench differs on Yakub's execution, refers plea to larger bench
- 'Your indebted student': Kalam's advisor pays tribute to former President on Facebook
- Gurdaspur attack: GPS shows terror team, got drug cartel help too
Venkaiah Naidu (BJP) said the state government's response should be taken on the issue and charged the government of not having faith in God or Lord Ram and demanded an assurance from the government in the House. Parliamentary Affairs Minister Rajiv Shukla instead accused the BJP of playing politics on the issue for votes and alleged use of "bullying tactics" by it in seeking government response on the issue."You cannot force me to speak on the issue...The matter is sub-judice and it would not be proper for the government to make any comment on the floor of the House," Shukla said, leading to uproar and acrimonious exchanges between the
treasury benches and the opposition. While Tiruchi Siva (DMK) supported the government on the issue, V Maitreyan (AIADMK) demanded that the state's views should be heard first before deciding on the issue and said the report of the expert committed should have been accepted by the government.