Rama Mandi residents block rail traffic to protest against rape of minor
- Cong makes public Raje's signed document backing Lalit Modi, asks govt to sack her
- Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal announces run for US presidential elections 2016
- Maharashtra minister Pankaja Munde accused of Rs 206 crore 'scam'
- Smriti Irani in dock over fake degree; Congress, AAP demand her sacking
- All above the age of 75 in BJP declared brain dead by Modi: Yashwant Sinha
A day after a 6-year-old girl was raped and thrown at railway tracks in Rama Mandi, a complete bandh was observed in the area. With locals sitting on a dharna at the railway tracks, demanding the arrest of the culprits, no train was scheduled from Bathinda to Rama Mandi railway line on Wednesday.
Meanwhile, Deputy Commissioner Kamal Kishore Yadav has recommended the suspension of Dr Gaurav — posted at the Rama Mandi Civil Hospital — for allegedly not attending to the victim and not providing an ambulance to shift her to the Talwandi Sabo Civil Hospital.
"The doctor did not even inform the Talwandi Sabo hospital about the victim. Hence, it took some time for a woman doctor to reach the hospital, which further created discomfort for the patient," said Yadav.
Daughter of daily wagers, the girl was found in a critical condition at the railway tracks on Tuesday. Though the girl belonged to a migrant family, people from all walks of life joined the protest. Kaur Singh, the Nagar Council president of Rama Mandi, who belongs to SAD, lead the protest along with Sarup Singh Rama from Bharti Kisan Union (Lakhowal). Councillors from all parties were also seen at the protest site.
Even after DC Yadav and SSP Ravcharan Singh Brar tried to calm the protesters, the dharna was on at the time of filing of this report. "The police are investigating the case and will soon arrest the culprit," Yadav said.