Ramayana: Not in tune
- Mulayam asks teaching assistants to vote SP, EC sees a 'violation'
- BJP relents to Chandrababu Naidu's demands, alliance likely to continue
- Azam Khan threatens to move Supreme Court, slams EC's relief to Amit Shah
- PMO defends Manmohan Singh, says GDP has grown three times during UPA rule
- IPL 7: Maxwellâs 43-ball 95 helps KXIP chase 206
Zee TV, Sunday, 11 am
Cast: Gagan Malik, Neha Sargam
Thank God for the fast forward button on the DVD player! It helps one survive the latest version of Ramayana produced by mytho-experts, the Sagars. The latest edition of the epic was meant to woo the younger generation with shriveling attention spans and as a wholesome show for the entire family on a Sunday morning (a slot which Aamir Khan showed could work with the right content) and learn the lessons afresh. Alas, the pace of the show is its undoing and so is the melodrama (you should see the three queens going berserk every time a 'maa' situation demands), not to forget some of the tacky special effects.
I watched the show with my teenage son who found the entire sequence of Lord Vishnu having a dialogue with Kaushalya who promptly faints and bingo, finds baby Ram crying on the bed when she regains consciousness, funny. He asked: Mum, is this how babies are really produced? She wasn't even shown pregnant. Then there is the almost malnourished, model-like Kaikeyi which had my son wondering if she was indeed the prettiest of all queens! We loved the sequences between the younger versions of Ram, Lakshman, Bharat and Shatrughan at the gurukul.
It was indeed heartwarming to see the camaraderie the four shared and I wished some more time was spent on their childhood. But I guess, in the bid to tell the story faster, the kids grew overnight. It was nice, the way guruma stressed on the future kings being taught to empathise and be kind – a well-rounded education is the need of hour even in today's cutthroat times where tolerance, patience, love, kindness and politeness are easily traded with impatience and aggression.
- Khushpreet murder: Court holds 3 accused guilty
- Youth shot at, bullet still lodged in body
- Anti-incumbency strong, Akali SOS to BJP: send Modi
- Ahmedabad ‘dressmaker’ has designs on Modi’s style
- RSS launches statewide campaign for 100% turnout, no mention of Modi
- Movie on Modi released statewide, Cong cries foul