Ramesh slams 'VIP security', says not needed even for PM, Pres
- India and Pakistan talks at SAARC meet: will there be more than the usual rhetoric?
- Won’t act if students hold Osama event: Princeton University President
- NDA’s Aadhaar Bill stronger than UPA’s on privacy: Nandan Nilekani
- Now it’s Congress: Bharat Mata Ki Jai or else
- Umar Khalid, Anirban led mob that raised slogans: Delhi Police
Irked over being held up in traffic by Army Chief's security, Union Minister Jairam Ramesh today criticised the "ridiculous" VIP security system in the country, which according to him is "state within a state within a state" where there is no accountability.
The furious Rural Development Minister said he would write to Defence Minister A K Antony, who doesn't keep a security ring around him, about the military police taking over Delhi police's duty and clearing the routes for service chiefs when they move around the national capital.
Ramesh, who never uses a red beacon on his vehicle, said his car was blocked near Army Chief's residence this afternoon by military police when he was going to Teen Murti to attend a meeting.
"It is ridiculous....Mr Antony does not do this. There is no security to Antony at all. And they (Military) have their own policemen to regulate traffic. That is wrong. Delhi Police should regulate traffic....I am going to write about this to Antony," the Minister said.
Ramesh said he was blocked by military security in the city when he was walking to his home after work.
"It was done for the smooth passage of the Army chief's convoy," said the Minister who takes a 40-minute walk to his official residence in Lodhi Garden without security after work at the Rural Development Ministry office at Krishi Bhavan here.
"Once I was caught up in traffic because of Army Chief. Once my traffic was held up because of the Naval chief. Once I was held up because of Air Force chief. Once I was held up because of Chief Justice of India," Ramesh said, criticising the VIP security system.
Ramesh also criticised the way the traffic is being blocked for clearing the routes for convoy of the President and the Prime Minister.
- BJP turns a blind eye to ally SAD’s disregard of the national interest in Punjab
- Modi govt has promoted and democratised the internet like no other in the past
- A look at the US presidential contenders’ positions on issues that matter to India
- We need to learn to keep politicians away from sports bodies
- Why criticism of the Ujwal Discom Assurance Yojana is misplaced and unwarranted
- Dear Governor Solanki, please withhold your assent to the Punjab SYL bill