'Ram-Leela' has a stupendous opening weekend, collects Rs. 33 crore
- Arvind Kejriwal calls 'emergency' Assembly session to discuss Centre's notification on Lt Governor's role
- Celebrations in AIADMK camp as Jayalalithaa becomes Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- No full statehood rights to Delhi unless there is consensus, says Arun Jaitley
- Gujjar protest to continue as talks with Rajasthan govt fail
- Heat wave toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana reaches 223
Sanjay Leela Bhansali's 'Goliyon Ki Raasleela Ram-Leela' has had a stupendous opening weekend and the movie has collecting a grand total of Rs. 33 crore in the first week.
The romantic saga starring Deepika Padukone and Ranveer Singh in lead roles opened to jam-packed theatres with Rs. 15 crore on the day of its release and Rs. 17.5 crores on Saturday. (Read review: Ram-Leela)
Trade analyst Taran Adarsh took to Twitter to pen the staggering numbers.
Taran Adarsh: #RamLeela continues to win hearts. Saturday Rs 17.5 cr. Total so far: Rs 33.5 cr nett. Expect a bigger total on Sunday.
It's opening day collection has earned 'Ram-Leela' 5th place in the list of top openers of 2013 and 10th place in the list of Bollywood's top 25 openers."
Despite cricketing God, Sachin Tendulkar's finale match that took place in Mumbai, the numbers seemed unaffected.
However, 'Ram-Leela' did face a few protests with certain groups claiming that the title and content of the film is insensitive to religious Hindu sentiments. As a result of which, some cinemas were forced to shut down and certain shows were suspended.
But Ranveer and Deepika are surely celebrating the success of their Indian Shakespearean drama. The rumoured couple is being showered with praise for their performances both by critics and fans along with co-stars Supriya Pathak and Richa Chadda.