Ranbaxy recalls generic Lipitor in US
- Purnia rally: Modi takes a dig at Nitish, says his PM dream was reason for break up of alliance
- Still no sign of Malaysia Airlines jet lost in "unprecedented mystery"
- DMK denies ticket to Alagiri; Raja, Maran get renomination
- Coal scam: SC directs CBI to file five charge sheets by Mar 28
- Haryana, Gujarat top industry-friendly states, Maharashtra among bottom five
The Indian company enjoyed marketing exclusivity for the first six months that generics were allowed to be sold along with US-based Watson Pharmaceuticals Inc."The development will impact the company's credibility to an extent," said Bhagwan Singh Chaudhary, a research associate at the brokerage IndiaNivesh. "There have been issues in the past (about compliance) and a recall suggests, corrective measures suggested by the U.S. FDA are not being implemented.
"Generic Lipitor generated nearly $600 million in sales for Ranbaxy during its exclusive marketing period, Chaudhary said.Other drugmakers including Indian rival Dr. Reddy's Laboratories Ltd have since launched their own generic atorvastatin versions in the United States.Controlled by Japan's Daiichi Sankyo Co, Ranbaxy has had a troubled history in the United States where shipments from some of its manufacturing plants were banned from 2009 over a compliance-related probe.The ban was troubling for Daiichi Sankyo, which acquired a majority stake in the Indian company for $4.2 billion in 2008.Early this year, Ranbaxy agreed to make broader changes at it plants and agreed to appoint an external auditor to resolve the dispute with the US Food and Drug Administration.It has also set aside $500 million towards any settlement charges it might have to pay.Shares of Ranbaxy, which is valued at $3.93 billion, were down 3.5 percent at 494.85 rupees as of 0950 GMT,
underperforming a 0.07 percent fall in the Mumbai market.
- Bengal model better than Modi’s Gujarat, says Didi
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- Three RTI activists whom Kejriwal paid homage are alive
- Poojary wins Mangalore primary
- Short change: Health cover for girl child at 50% discount
- Run with the bulls, don’t lose out to foreign investors again
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- BJP complains to EC against Rahul over RSS remarks, seeks derecognition of Congress