Ranbir Kapoor is brand ambassador for BlackBerry phones
- After arrest, Jitender Singh Tomar resigns as Delhi Law Minister
- Army begins operation near Myanmar border, kills militants involved in Manipur ambush
- Joint CP Mukesh Kumar Meena hits back, says he took charge at ACB under L-G's orders
- Congress president Sonia Gandhi accuses PM Modi of 'U-turns, falsehoods'
- UP minister booked for burning journalist to death over Facebook post
Blackberry smartphone maker Research-In-Motion has roped in Ranbir Kapoor as its brand ambassador in India, a move that is aimed at attracting young entrepreneurs and professionals.
"This is the first time we have signed a celebrity in India as brand ambassador. Given BlackBerry brand positioning in the country and whole association with youth segment as well as young entrepreneur, professionals, we thought there is right fit to have Ranbir as our brand ambassador," RIM India Managing Director Sunil Dutt said.
He said celebrity endorsement is an accepted norm in India in terms of youth and consumer association with brand.
Dutt said RIM India follows global strategies but induction of a celebrity for endorsing brand has been done to do meet local market requirements.
"Its a kind of very positive sentiment building up among consumers. Our latest brand positioning in India is very action oriented. The connect for India has been building up and local relevance has also been building up over time," he said.
RIM India has roped in Kapoor at a time when it is gearing up to announce BlackBerry 10 version devices on January 30, 2013.
Dutt said RIM has signed the agreement for two years initially with the Bollywood celebrity and Kapoor will be seen endorsing BlackBerry devices in second half of January.