Rani Mukherji, Prakash Raj win V Shantaram awards
- Parliament LIVE: Expert committee to review use of pellet guns, says Rajnath
- Dalit fury spills over to Gujarat streets, 9 more try to end lives; CM meets family assaulted in Una
- Hit by campus protests, FTII makes new students sign ‘decorum, decency’ affidavit
- Dalits are 'soft target' for cow vigilantes: fact finding team
- Suspicious bag found inside Dubai-Amritsar SpiceJet flight
The awards were presented last night in the presence of yesteryears actress Sandhya who made a public appearance after several years to commemorate the 50th year of her musical hit "Navrang" and was felicitated on the occasion.
National award winning "Kanchivaram" depicting the story of a silk weaver received the best film Gold award and Priyadarshan bagged the Best director Gold prize for the same movie.
Rani Mukherji said "Dil Bole Haddipa" was close to her heart because she had worked hard portraying a cricket crazy sikh boy and also learnt the sport. Marathi film "Gabhricha Paus" and its director Satish Manwar bagged the Silver award for Best film and director.
Saif Ali Khan's debut production 'Love Aaj kal' received the Bronze award for best film and director.
Priyadarshan said in the last 27 years of his career, he is presently working on his 80th movie and it was the first time that he had bagged the best director award. Similarly, he said "Kanchivaram" was his first co-production and the film had won the National award for Best film.
Nandita Das was the recipient of the Best debut director for "Firaaq".
Anushka Sharma (Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi) and Irfan Khan (New York) received the best debut artiste in lead role and best supporting actor awards respectively.
Renuka Shahane received the best supporting actress for Marathi film 'Rita' which is also her directorial debut.
Aditya Chopra and Sandeep Srivastava received the best story and screenplay award for 'New York', while Pritam bagged the best music score award for 'Love Aaj Kal' beating A R Rahman (Delhi 6) and Vishal Bharadwaj (Kaminey).
'Kanchivaram' also bagged best cinematography award.
- UN faces a crisis, but its new secretary general is unlikely to upset tradition
- South China Sea verdict has changed the ground rules for future engagement with China
- Empowering women through JAM
- Resolution of citizen grievances is an indicator of the performance of government departments
- Telescope: Grace and the lack of it
- The endeavour for a common civil law must be to end discrimination, and not stamp majority might