Ranji Trophy: JK secure first win of season, beat Assam by 235 runs
- Jigisha Ghosh murder case: Two convicts get death sentence, life imprisonment for one
- Ban pellet guns in Kashmir, Omar Abdullah-led delegation asks PM Modi
- PM Modi, Afghan President Ghani jointly inaugurate renovated Stor Palace
- AAP doesn't have money to fight election: Kejriwal
- Kicking off UP poll campaign, Mayawati slams BJP-RSS, SP, is soft on Congress
Tarjinder Singh's fighting hundred was the lone bright spot in Assam's doomed chase as the visiting team succumbed to a massive 235-run loss to Jammu and Kashmir on the fourth and final day of their Ranji Trophy Group C match here today.
Reduced to 46 for 3 overnight while chasing a mammoth 477, Assam's chances of sneaking away even with a draw were slim but Tarjinder fought all through before becoming the last wicket to fall after making 105 runs.
This was J&K's first win of the season and Parvez Rassol had a massive role to play in it top-scoring in both innings with 67 and 120 not out and taking seven for 41 in Assam's first innings.
In Assam's second innings, six visiting bowlers were among the wickets with Ram Dayal taking three.
Apart from Tarjinder's hundred, which came off 187 balls and included 12 fours and a six, the only other knock of significance in the Assam scoresheet was by skipper Dheeraj Jadhav.
Jadhav scored patient 51 runs which came off 135 deliveries and included eight fours.
No other Assam batsman could make any worthwhile contribution with six of them failing to touch doubles figures, including four ducks.
Jammu and Kashmir: 323 & 318 for 5 declared.
- Farm incomes may not revive despite good monsoon
- India’s new line that Pak will have to pay for cross-border terror was overdue
- Just how did Pakistan become so central to the definition of Indian patriotism?
- Why AAP needs to go back to school
- Next door Nepal: Detente in Kathmandu
- PM's Balochistan policy: Gameplan, gambit or gamble?