Rapacious loan shark takes man's wife over unpaid debt
- Rahul mocks Modi, says his Gujarat development model is a toffee model
- Under fire over Baru's revelation, Congress retorts by calling 'Vajpayee the weakest PM India ever had'
- Narendra Modi, party not separate, no infighting: BJP on Joshi's remarks
- BJP dancing to the tune of RSS; Lok Sabha elections battle between two completely different ideologies, says Sonia Gandhi
- Elections 2014 Live: Advani hits out at Nitish Kumar, says he will be doomed for deserting NDA
A creditor detained his debtor's wife in his house, demanding clearance of his dues, in Macherla town of Guntur district yesterday, the police said.
A drunkard called D Gopala Reddi had borrowed Rs 50,000 from S Lakshmanaih three years ago and then gone missing, after which his wife Vijayamma was forced to vacate her rented house in Macherla six months ago and settle in a nearby village, eking out a livelihood as a daily wage earner.
Yesterday, when she visited her former landlord, Lakshmaniah, from whom her husband had borrowed money, came to know about her arrival.
He stormed her former landlord's house, dragged the woman to his house and then confined her there, demanding clearance of her husband's debt, the police said.
The police released her from captivity and took Lakshmaniah into custody, after a media tip-off.
- Security men at every step, Shinde keeps ‘safe distance’ from voters, debunks charges
- In Beed, Modi factor dents Munde’s goodwill among Muslims
- Ambareesh campaigns for Nilekani
- Raids on Bellary moneylender yield Rs 8.74 crore cash
- MP faces Amreli villagers’ ire in campaign
- JERC approves sale of solar power at Rs 1.13 per unit