Rapacious loan shark takes man's wife over unpaid debt
- 3.5 lakh well-off people have given up subsidised LPGs: PM Narendra Modi
- Meghalaya CM compares Rahul Gandhi to Alfred the Great, king who returned to conquer
- Naxals kill 7 of elite force in Sukma
- Across the Aisle: Land acquisition - Nine steps to nirvana
- India's Sons: What does it mean to be a man in India?
A creditor detained his debtor's wife in his house, demanding clearance of his dues, in Macherla town of Guntur district yesterday, the police said.
A drunkard called D Gopala Reddi had borrowed Rs 50,000 from S Lakshmanaih three years ago and then gone missing, after which his wife Vijayamma was forced to vacate her rented house in Macherla six months ago and settle in a nearby village, eking out a livelihood as a daily wage earner.
Yesterday, when she visited her former landlord, Lakshmaniah, from whom her husband had borrowed money, came to know about her arrival.
He stormed her former landlord's house, dragged the woman to his house and then confined her there, demanding clearance of her husband's debt, the police said.
The police released her from captivity and took Lakshmaniah into custody, after a media tip-off.