Rapacious loan shark takes man's wife over unpaid debt
- Haji Ali dargah will have to open doors for women after Bombay HC ruling
- My vision for India is rapid transformation, not gradual evolution: PM Modi
- Panel works on alternative to pellets: Balls of pepper, capsicum gas
- Scorpene leak: Firms to be blacklisted only in cases of clear criminality, says Parrikar
- Sheena Bora murder: Taped conversations emerging on media submitted in court, says CBI
A creditor detained his debtor's wife in his house, demanding clearance of his dues, in Macherla town of Guntur district yesterday, the police said.
A drunkard called D Gopala Reddi had borrowed Rs 50,000 from S Lakshmanaih three years ago and then gone missing, after which his wife Vijayamma was forced to vacate her rented house in Macherla six months ago and settle in a nearby village, eking out a livelihood as a daily wage earner.
Yesterday, when she visited her former landlord, Lakshmaniah, from whom her husband had borrowed money, came to know about her arrival.
He stormed her former landlord's house, dragged the woman to his house and then confined her there, demanding clearance of her husband's debt, the police said.
- Pakistan army has a battle to win: The corruption within
- Anger of Irom Sharmila’s supporters should not be dismissed as selfishness or cynicism
- You keep the cow’s tail: A post card from Una, Gujarat, August 15
- History shows why Balochistan is not an internal matter of Pakistan
- The use of technology will be key to making GST a success
- Sedition law cannot be used against honest views, expressed peacefully