Rape case: Male friend 'identifies' accused in Tihar jail
- Nitish Kumar's JD(U) recognised as principal opposition party in Bihar, BJP protests
- SC extends Setalvad's interim bail and asks her lawyer Kapil Sibal not to 'act smart'
- Aero India Show: Stunt planes collide in mid-air, pilots safe
- Swine flu deaths soar to 663, number of cases cross 10,000
- Maratha Mandir brings down curtains on Shah Rukh Khan's DDLJ
One of the four accused in the brutal rape of a young paramedical student was today "identified" by the victim's friend during a Test Identification Parade (TIP) at Tihar jail here.
The 23-year-old victim's male friend, an engineer in a software company identified Mukesh during TIP, a senior police official said.
Eleven people were paraded before the victim's friend during TIP which started at 3:05 PM and ended in a hour. "The procedures ended by 4 PM," the official said.
Out of the four accused, only Mukesh had agreed to TIP when he was produced before a court here yesterday. Otheraccused -- Ram Singh, Pawan and Vinay -- had refused to undergo TIP.
According to the official, the positive identification of Mukesh by the friend, who was also beaten up by the gang before the men allegedly raped the girl, is a shot in the arm of the prosecution as it would it them nail the other culprits.
Police have invoked the stringent charges of attempt to murder and destruction of evidence against the accused.
Investigators had earlier pressed charges against them under sections 365 (kidnapping or abducting), 376 (2)(g) (gang rape), 377 (unnatural offences), 394 (hurting in committing robbery) and 34 (common intention) of IPC.