Rape case: Male friend 'identifies' accused in Tihar jail
- Third phase of LS polls ends: High turnout in 91 seats; Chandigarh tops with 74 per cent
- BJP sacks Jaswant Singh's son Manvendra; Ansari not to contest against Modi
- #WhyiVoted: Let's hear it from India
- First time, Narendra Modi slams Mamata Banerjee, calls her change ânakliâ
- Mulayam questions death penalty for rape, says 'boys make mistakes'
One of the four accused in the brutal rape of a young paramedical student was today "identified" by the victim's friend during a Test Identification Parade (TIP) at Tihar jail here.
The 23-year-old victim's male friend, an engineer in a software company identified Mukesh during TIP, a senior police official said.
Eleven people were paraded before the victim's friend during TIP which started at 3:05 PM and ended in a hour. "The procedures ended by 4 PM," the official said.
Out of the four accused, only Mukesh had agreed to TIP when he was produced before a court here yesterday. Otheraccused -- Ram Singh, Pawan and Vinay -- had refused to undergo TIP.
According to the official, the positive identification of Mukesh by the friend, who was also beaten up by the gang before the men allegedly raped the girl, is a shot in the arm of the prosecution as it would it them nail the other culprits.
Police have invoked the stringent charges of attempt to murder and destruction of evidence against the accused.
Investigators had earlier pressed charges against them under sections 365 (kidnapping or abducting), 376 (2)(g) (gang rape), 377 (unnatural offences), 394 (hurting in committing robbery) and 34 (common intention) of IPC.