Rape case: Male friend 'identifies' accused in Tihar jail
- Cricketer Mohd Kaif, Nilekani, Ravi Kishen among 194 in Congress' first list of candidates for the Lok Sabha polls
- Yeddyurappa among 52 Bharatiya Janata Party candidates for Lok Sabha polls
- Malaysia Airlines plane with 5 Indians onboard missing, presumed crashed off Vietnam coast
- No compromise with live-ins or gay rights, moral values supreme: RSS
- Ink attack on AAP leader Yogendra Yadav at Jantar Mantar
One of the four accused in the brutal rape of a young paramedical student was today "identified" by the victim's friend during a Test Identification Parade (TIP) at Tihar jail here.
The 23-year-old victim's male friend, an engineer in a software company identified Mukesh during TIP, a senior police official said.
Eleven people were paraded before the victim's friend during TIP which started at 3:05 PM and ended in a hour. "The procedures ended by 4 PM," the official said.
Out of the four accused, only Mukesh had agreed to TIP when he was produced before a court here yesterday. Otheraccused -- Ram Singh, Pawan and Vinay -- had refused to undergo TIP.
According to the official, the positive identification of Mukesh by the friend, who was also beaten up by the gang before the men allegedly raped the girl, is a shot in the arm of the prosecution as it would it them nail the other culprits.
Police have invoked the stringent charges of attempt to murder and destruction of evidence against the accused.
Investigators had earlier pressed charges against them under sections 365 (kidnapping or abducting), 376 (2)(g) (gang rape), 377 (unnatural offences), 394 (hurting in committing robbery) and 34 (common intention) of IPC.