Rape charge: Pinki Pramanik is male says gender test
- Purnia rally: Modi takes a dig at Nitish, says his PM dream was reason for break up of alliance
- Still no sign of Malaysia Airlines jet lost in "unprecedented mystery"
- DMK denies ticket to Alagiri; Raja, Maran get renomination
- Coal scam: SC directs CBI to file five charge sheets by Mar 28
- Haryana, Gujarat top industry-friendly states, Maharashtra among bottom five
Asian Games gold medalist Pinki Pramanik, who was embroiled in a controversy surrounding her gender, was today charged with rape and cheating by the police after medical tests established that the athlete is a male.
The police action came after it submitted in a court a medical report on the gender determination tests which showed that Pinki, now on bail, is a male.
Based on the report of the medical test done by a board of doctors at the state-run SSKM hospital in Kolkata, the police filed a charge sheet against Pinki charging the athlete with rape and cheating as well as accusing her of holding out threats.
Pinki was accused by her live-in partner Anamika Acharya of being a male who raped her, which led to Pinki's arrest on June 14 and an order for medical examination to confirm the gender was issued.
The former middle-distance runner, who won the 4x400 m relay gold in 2006 Doha Asian Games, was freed from jail on July 11 pending disposal of all cases.
Pinki's earlier reports of gender tests were inconclusive both at a private nursing home at Barasat as well as at Barasat general hospital.
The case was referred to the state-run SSKM hospital, but facility for chromosome pattern test was unavailable there too. Later, the test was concluded at Hyderabad, police said.
The athlete's arrest and imprisonment earlier sparked an outcry across the state over gender discrimination and the manner of conducting the tests.
- Bengal model better than Modi’s Gujarat, says Didi
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- Three RTI activists whom Kejriwal paid homage are alive
- Poojary wins Mangalore primary
- Short change: Health cover for girl child at 50% discount
- Run with the bulls, don’t lose out to foreign investors again
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- BJP complains to EC against Rahul over RSS remarks, seeks derecognition of Congress