Rape charge: Pinki Pramanik is male says gender test
- A person killing people with Quran in his hand is not Muslim, but a terrorist: Aamir Khan at #RNGAwards
- Dubai shuts down part of metro's green line over large fire
- Oceans, cyberworld should not become new theatres of contests: PM Modi
- Financial transactions motive behind Sheena's murder, CBI tells court
- J&K: Army jawan, three terrorists killed in separate encounters
Asian Games gold medalist Pinki Pramanik, who was embroiled in a controversy surrounding her gender, was today charged with rape and cheating by the police after medical tests established that the athlete is a male.
The police action came after it submitted in a court a medical report on the gender determination tests which showed that Pinki, now on bail, is a male.
Based on the report of the medical test done by a board of doctors at the state-run SSKM hospital in Kolkata, the police filed a charge sheet against Pinki charging the athlete with rape and cheating as well as accusing her of holding out threats.
Pinki was accused by her live-in partner Anamika Acharya of being a male who raped her, which led to Pinki's arrest on June 14 and an order for medical examination to confirm the gender was issued.
The former middle-distance runner, who won the 4x400 m relay gold in 2006 Doha Asian Games, was freed from jail on July 11 pending disposal of all cases.
Pinki's earlier reports of gender tests were inconclusive both at a private nursing home at Barasat as well as at Barasat general hospital.
The case was referred to the state-run SSKM hospital, but facility for chromosome pattern test was unavailable there too. Later, the test was concluded at Hyderabad, police said.
- Frequent promulgation of ordinances has more to do with managerial ethos
- Indian peacekeeping abroad: Samantha Power shows some deft diplomacy
- The needs of the time shape the character of the myth- Tipu Sultan
- Raja-Mandala: Japan’s counter to China’s silk road
- It started with Perumal
- Open channels of communication are vital for democracy and governance