Rape, molestation cases rise in Odisha
- SC quashes decision to include Jats in OBC category, rules caste can't be sole ground
- Day after results, Omar, Amit Shah and Ram Madhav met to explore J&K tie-up
- Neither Sonia nor Rahul ever filled such forms: Congress
- Nun gangrape case: 10 detained, Centre seeks report from WB govt
- To push land law forward, govt set to pause House
Odisha has registered an increase in rape and molestation cases which stood at 1112 and 3207 respectively during 2011, Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik told the assembly today.
While the number of rape cases registered at different police stations across the state during 2010 was 1025, it rose to 1112 in 2011.
Similarly, molestation cases also increased to 3207 in 2011 from 2905 cases in 2010, Patnaik, who holds the home portfolio, said while replying to a question.
Mayurbhanj topped the list of rape cases by registering 76 cases in both 2010 and 2011. Balasore in coastal belt and Keonjhar in northern region recorded high growth of rape incidents in 2011 by registering 75 cases each from previous years 48 and 45 cases respectively.
Similarly, Angul in central Odisha witnessed rise in rape cases from 39 in 2010 to 63 in 2011.
However, there was decline in the number of rape cases in the district of Kalahandi (46 in 2011 against 60 in 2010).
The districts which showed declining figure were Bhubaneswar (police district, from 43 to 35), Bargarh (from 36 to 21), Sonepur (from 17 to 10), Malkangiri (from 14 to 8) and Nuapada (from 13 to 4).
Ganjam district registered highest molestation cases with 358 cases followed by 299 in Angul, 227 in Mayurbhanj and 217 in Balasore district, Patanaik said.