Rape of grown-up girls may be understandable but assault on infants unimaginable, says BJP MP Ramesh Bais
- Karmakar country: Many Dipas of Tripura taking their own leap of faith
- For India in NSG, China to send main negotiator
- No Railway Budget from next financial year, Arun Jaitley accepts Suresh Prabhu's proposal
- J&K: 15 injured in Poonch blast, pilgrims said to be target
- Tavleen Singh writes: Kashmir’s violent ‘children’
A BJP MP today said the rape of grown-up girls and women might be understandable but if someone does this to an infant, he should be hanged.
He said rape of minor is a heinous crime and those who commits such crime should be hanged.
"The rape of grown-up girls and women might be understandable but if someone does this to an infant, it is a heinous crime and the offenders should be hanged (barabari ya bade logo ke sath balatkar samajh me ata hai, lekin nabalig bachhiyo ke sath is tarah ka jaghanya apradh karma. Inko to fasi par latka dena chahiye)", MP Ramesh Bais told reporters referring to the rape case involving minor inmates of a government-run residential school in Kanker district of the state.
Asked about the MP's remarks, the state's main opposition Congress said assault on women, whether she is a child or a grown-up, is a heinous crime.
Congress spokesman Shailesh Nitin Trivedi said "assault on anyone is a heinous crime. The statement (of Bais) is objectionable and we condemn this".
Bais said the incident like the one in Kanker happened in several places but they were not reported.
"Just terminating the employees will not bring back the honour of the victims. The accused in the case should be given stringent punishment", Bais said.
"The incident of Delhi gang rape has rocked everyone to think over such crimes. The incident of Chhattisgarh is a matter of shame," the MP said.
The MP also suspected the involvement of senior officials and claimed that for the past several months the girls were being sexually assaulted and the concerned officials were unaware of it.
The incident of sexual assault on minor inmates of the government-run residential school for tribal girls in Jhaliyamari village of Kanker district came to light last
- To his successor, and to the PM and the government, Dr Rajan has left valuable messages
- Instead of laptops and books in their hands these children had stones and grenades
- Gau raksha is seen not just as a desire but a duty by PM Modi's core support
- PM Modi has put the onus for whatever happens in Gujarat on Amit Shah
- Prachanda must address Madhesi aspirations and bring relations with India on even keel
- Inflation has dropped by a large magnitude, during Raghuram Rajan’s tenure as RBI gov