Rape of Spaniard: Cops get custody of accused till Monday
- PDP, BJP seal alliance to form government in Jammu & Kashmir
- RK Pachauri, accused of sexual harassment, quits UN climate change panel
- Centre's land bill is anti-farmer, says Kejriwal at Anna protest rally
- SpiceJet launches low-fare offer for Holi; one lakh seats on the block
- BJP defends Bhagwat, claims Mother Teresa admitted she was not a social worker
The Bandra police, investigating the case of rape and robbery of a 27-year-old Spanish national at her residence in Perry Cross Road, Bandra (West), have got custody of the accused, Mohammed Ismail Ansari, till November 12.
The investigating officers submitted the remand request, asking for Ansari's police custody to recover the evidences of crime and corroborate circumstantial evidence.
"The victim identified Ansari in the identification parade on Thursday. We had asked for his police custody, which we got," said a police inspector from Bandra police station.
Ansari will now be taken to Bandra lock-up from Arthur Road Jail, where his ID parade had been conducted. The victim, who had come to Mumbai six months ago to learn Indian classical music, was supposed to identify whether the accused was the one who had raped her.
Ansari alias Badshah was arrested and presented before the magistrate on Wednesday, where the police asked for his judicial custody to conduct the ID parade as the victim said she wanted to return to Germany as soon as possible.
Senior police officers from Bandra said the ID parade was done in presence of the Special Executive Officer and the victim was shown a few men, including the arrested man through CCTV camera.