Rape victim’s courage was inspiring, says probe officer
- 20 jawans feared dead as Naxals attack CRPF convoy in Chhattisgarh
- Missing Malaysia airline: Man travelling on stolen passport identified as Iranian
- Bhagwat cautions RSS cadres against crossing limits for BJP
- Arvind Kejriwal accused of influencing TV interview
- Dalit teen canât pay to cheat in exam, immolates himself
DCP Chhaya sharma says it was difficult to accept something so brutal could happen in her city
Mother to a 10-year-old girl, Deputy Commissioner of Police (South) Chhaya Sharma says she saw the pain in the eyes of the gangrape victim's mother. But as the injuries on the 23-year-old paramedic student left most of the investigators "shocked", her courage inspired Sharma and the team.
"Not for a moment did I feel like crying, I just wanted to catch the perpetrators as soon as possible. It was a beastly and brutal act. It is difficult to come to terms with the fact that somebody could do something like this in my city," Sharma, who led the investigations in the gangrape case, said.
A 1999 batch IPS officer, Sharma was born and brought up in Delhi.
After police received a call on the night of December 16, the emphasis was to involve more women officers in the team to make the victim and her family feel comfortable.
"I spoke to her briefly earlier and it's her undaunted spirit that is inspiring all of us here. She wanted to talk, but we asked her not to. She is able to write legibly and is making eye contacts," Sharma said.
The officer said it was her wireless operator who informed her about the incident around midnight of December 16. In the next hour, Sharma's team was at Safdarjung hospital, where the woman and her friend were admitted.
"The condition of the girl was so bad that they did not let any police officer meet her till morning. We spoke to her friend, who told us that a bus was involved in the crime. I drew a team of the best officers in my district and asked them all to start working on this and leave everything else," Sharma said.
- Eight held for ‘attacking’ Dalit wedding procession in Sabarkantha
- 90 airports on alert to check movement of cash ahead of elections
- Notices to 23 hospitals for withdrawing facility
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- In Mumbai, teacher’s love story with student ends in her arrest
- Govt dismisses AAP allegations
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- Kejriwal Gujarat tour: The unfamiliar politician | The Indian Express