Rape-cum-murder of three sisters: NCP wants death for accused
- Elections 2014 Live: TMC workers beat up poll officials in Bengal; Rahul attacks Modi over Adani link
- Narendra Modi slams Mamata Banerjee, says she is playing vote bank politics
- #WhyiVoted: Let's hear it from India
- NSCN (IM) takes over Manipur booths, loads EVMs with votes
- Narendra Modi mentions wife Jashodaben in poll affidavit for first time
NCP today demanded death sentence for the rapists of three minor sisters in Maharashtra as it pushed for expeditious passage of the bill on crime against women.
"It is unacceptable. All of us have to hang our heads in shame...is there anything short of capital punishment which should be given to them," Heavy Industries Minister and NCP leader Praful Patel told reporters outside Parliament House.
Patel was referring to the rape-cum-murder of three minor sisters in Bhandara district of Maharashtra a couple of days ago.
Responding to questions on differences among political parties on certain provisions of the ordinance which seeks to enhance punishment for crime against women, Patel said strong laws were required to deal with the problem.
"It has to be with consensus...after what has happened in Delhi, the nation has awakened to this new reality," he said. When asked about reservations being expressed by political parties on provisions of the Criminal Law(Amendment) Ordinance promulgated earlier this month, External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid said views of various quarters would be incorporated when a fresh bill replaces the ordinance.
"I can't understand why people try to confuse issues. Ordinance is an ordinance. It has to be replaced by a bill in Parliament...it (the bill) will perhaps have additionalities that public minded persons, activists, political parties believe need to be included," he said, adding modifications tothe existing provisions can also be made.
- Neemu Bhoumik seeks LS entry; people’s issues, Raiganj roots in mind
- Another Bittu, Simerjit file papers as Independents
- Firing at district food and civil supplies office, one injured
- Day after stand-off with EC, Didi vows ‘revenge’ over ‘insult’ by Delhi
- ‘Hate’ speech: Amit Shah moves HC for stay on arrest, quashing of FIRs
- Adarsh Shastri ‘covers’ for AAP’s Jaaferi