Probe J-K Police officials who set up Afzal Guru: Kashmir parties
- Missing Malaysian jetliner: Plane's disappearance deliberate, says Malaysian PM
- Eyes on UP prize, Narendra Modi set for Varanasi
- Arrest warrant issued against Devyani Khobragade in US visa fraud case
- Unfazed, Arvind Kejriwal fires yet another salvo at media
- CRPF says police stalled its plan, may have averted Maoist ambush
With widespread public anger against the hanging of Afzal Guru across Kashmir, the demand to probe the circumstances of his arrest and allegations of a "set up" by a group of J& K Police officials is snowballing into a political issue here.
Engineer Rashid, who represents Langate constituency in J-K Legislative Assembly has demanded that the Omar Abdullah government should ''constitute a commission to probe the role of J-K Police officers in setting-up Afzal Guru''.
Referring to a letter written by Afzal to his lawyer Sushil Kumar which has been published in local press, MLA Rashid said that "the letter has come out in media. He (Afzal) has named somebody Tariq, a DSP and a police official Shanty Singh, who is perhaps in central jail even today".
Rashid had been arrested by J&K Police soon after the news of Afzal's hanging broke on Feberuary 9 and was released on Friday.
"(Chief Minister) Omar Abdullah should constitute a commission to probe it," he said and asked. "You (Omar Abdullah) said that nothing was in your hands but this is in your hands. We have to go to the bottom of this conspiracy". Afzal had written to his lawyer in 2004 while he was lodged in Ward no 6 (High Security Ward) Jail number 1 of Tihar.
In the letter, Afzal has explained as to how "DSP Davinder Singh", the then deputy superintendent of police of J-K Police's Special Operations Group at Humhama, Jammu & Kashmir, asked him to "take Mohammad", a co-accused in the Parliament attack case, "to Delhi, rent a flat for his stay and purchase a car for him". Afzal had also talked about a police official Shanty Singh who along with DSP Davinder Singh "tortured him at Humhama STF camp". Afzal had also talked about "Altaf Hussain who is brother-in- law of S.S.P Ashaq Hussain of Budgam" who first "brokered" his release between his family and DSP Davinder Singh and later took him to DSP Davinder Singh who asked him to take a man to Delhi.
- BJP projected to sweep Gujarat, Rajasthan, Karnataka; Congress to get big jolt in Maharashtra
- Editors body slams Arvind Kejriwal for ‘irresponsible’ media remark, says it is a sign of ‘weakness’
- Trouble in alliance with Congress, TRS turns to BJP
- Minority panel removed my riot report against Modi: Ex-Secy